Electric wiring

Old 04-04-17, 09:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric wiring

Members location is India.

I have to add some switch boards. My home is internal wired that is wires running inside concrete walls by means of tubes. In the room where I want additional switch board there are no Junction boxes. So I have to take wire from switch board which is given by internal wiring that is wall socket board and then do surface wiring to install new switch board on desired site of my room. So my doubt is how to get the wire out of wall socket switch board?

Last edited by ray2047; 04-04-17 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 09:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is primarily a North American forum. There are probably conderabe differences in materials and wiring practices in your country.

A switch board for instance here would be a box with breakers or fuses. But I suspect you mean a real individual switch not breakers are fuses. Here we would use conduit (looks like pipe) and individual wires in the conduit to run electric on a wall surface.. The other way here would be what is called surface raceway (Wiremold) which is rectangular conduit that goes to special surface boxes and looks nicer.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-04-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 06:43 AM
E
You'd have to see if you're allowed to use surface mounted raceways. Even if you are they're hideously ugly if you're going to have to drop them down to a switch level. Just embed the conduit in the wall, do the work right 1 time instead of multiple times.

Old 04-05-17, 07:55 AM
P
Thank you for quick reply. In my country each switch board will not have fuse. All the switch boards in a room are connected to a single fuse which is presented at mains switch. I am posting two images. The first one is from where i have to bring out the wire. As you can see its completely stick to wall with switch board socket inside wall. To bring out wire from that type of switch board what i have to do? do i have to put holes to the switch board. I can use the plug present in switch board but i have other uses for switch board. we also use wiremold for surface boxes which i posted as second image. kindly see those images and reply me. The switch board company name is legrand if it's necessary.Name:  IMG_20170326_171047.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  12.0 KBName:  IMG_20170405_191217.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 04-05-17, 07:58 AM
P
Thank you for reply. But it's not possible to me.Its not my own residence. Its provided by my employer. In my country we called them company quarters.

Old 04-05-17, 08:02 PM
P
somebody please provide me a solution.

Old 04-05-17, 08:13 PM
E
The faceplate looks curved, cut a square notch with a hacksaw to bring out the wires. Are the walls bare concrete or are they plastered. If they're plastered you usually have a bit of space between the cover and the box which you can chisel out to give the wires some room as well.

Old 04-05-17, 09:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Its not my own residence. Its provided by my employer.
In the U.S. you do no electrical work on property you don't on. If there's a fire even if it isn't really the fault of your you could be sued and spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to prove it wasn't your fault. If a fireman or anyone else is injured or killed you could face criminal charges.

Esand suggested:
cut a square notch with a hacksaw to bring out the wires
Never the correct way at least in the U.S. We add an extension ring to the box and run conduit or surface raceway from the extension ring.

Name:  63893.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  14.8 KB Name:  ID-PIC-531511234ub_sc1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  8.8 KB

Old 04-05-17, 09:52 PM
E
Ray: What you suggested is unquestionably the better way. What I suggested is more along the lines of what we see in his example photo.

Old 04-06-17, 12:58 AM
O
Since you are in India, which follows British wiring design, your receptacles will be fed by what's known as a ring main, not a branch main as we have in North America. The 220V circuit will leave the main panel board, carry around to each receptacle, and then terminate back at the main panel board.

Essentially what you are wanting to do is tap a branch main off a ring main. I don't know if that's legal or not. My suspicion is that it isn't, but you should post your question in a UK electrical forum where electricians familiar with British wiring systems will be able to answer your question.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04-06-17, 09:06 AM
P
Thank you all for the replies. There will be no legal problem whatever I do. I am sure of it.

We add an extension ring to the box and run conduit or surface raceway from the extension ring.
Thank you ray2047 for suggestion. How to add extension ring to the box. Today I opened the box. I am attaching image for better understanding of my situation.
Name:  IMG_20170406_173456.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  23.5 KB

Old 04-06-17, 09:26 AM
E
That's not a common box size in other places but if it is there I'm sure they have the connector you need. While you have everything open you should pull a ground wire for that outlet. Or at the very least connect it to the box.

Old 04-06-17, 08:22 PM
E
erroneous post. [deleted]..............