Deep fryer electric: one 40 or two 20's

Old 04-06-17, 06:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deep fryer electric: one 40 or two 20's

No, I'm not talking about trading in my wife guys. I'm running a new line for a deep fryer. Two tanks with separately corded elements, both 15.8 amps. The panel has plenty of room, it's at our local ball field. I neglected to check what size panel but it's a big sucker. Let's assume I'm good on that end. Should I run off a single 40 amp with 8/2 into a double outlet, or, run two 20 amp breakers with 12/2 each to their own outlets. About a 40 ft run including up and down. I'm leaning towards two 20's, minimal cost difference, easier to work with the wire, and seems like better protection on the appliance end.

Looks like all their existing wiring is romex, run through conduit up into open rafters, no conduit through rafters, back down through conduit to outlets. I was thinking MC cable the entire length but if what they have is suitable it will save a few $$ for them. Could strip the romex sheath where it runs through the conduit??

I'm not an electrician but I manage, thanks for the input in advance!

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 06:51 PM
T
You can't run a "double size" circuit for two cords like that. Each one will need a dedicated 20A circuit. Assuming each element has a 20A plug

Like this:

You will need to install a single 20A receptacle (not a standard duplex) for each element.

You CAN install them both in the same 4" box,

and you CAN wire it as a MWBC (Multiwire Branch Circuit). This is installed with a 2 pole (240V) 20A breaker and uses one run of 12/3. You connect the red to the hot of one receptacle, the black to the hot of the other, and they share the neutral. This will be a little cheaper than two runs of 12/2.

You don't strip the Romex in the conduit. It's just a sleeve to protect against damage.

Old 04-07-17, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Since this is not residential you may not even have the option not to have this contracted by a licensed professional .

Old 04-07-17, 06:54 PM
C
Thanks Taz, I went with a double 12/2 run of romex. Only asked about stripping sleeve for heat dissipation purposes inside conduit. Easy day.

Cheers

Old 04-07-17, 06:59 PM
C
pcboss, a license is the government taking away your right to do a thing and selling it back to you. The response from your member was helpful and confirmed what i already wanted to do, just being safe and getting a second opinion.

Peace

Old 04-08-17, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
just being safe and getting a second opinion.
Well.... here's a third opinion.

What happens if someone gets hurt from electrical work installed with no permit or inspection ??
It wouldn't have to even be your fault. The appliance could malfunction.

I've seen it happen and lawsuits are not pretty.,

Old 04-08-17, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
pcboss, a license is the government taking away your right to do a thing and selling it back to you. The response from your member was helpful and confirmed what i already wanted to do, just being safe and getting a second opinion.

Peace
Perhaps the government has seen enough danger exists to its citizens that it is attempting to protect them from unskilled people performing potentially dangerous installations. Cosmetologists are licensed but you think that anyone should be allowed to do electrical? How many ever died from a bad haircut?

Old 04-08-17, 02:21 PM
T
a license is the government taking away your right to do a thing and selling it back to you.
Perhaps the government has seen enough danger exists to its citizens that it is attempting to protect them from unskilled people performing potentially dangerous installations. Cosmetologists are licensed but you think that anyone should be allowed to do electrical? How many ever died from a bad haircut?
There was a huge brouhaha in Tennessee last year - because apparently in TN you need a special license to work in a salon as a hair shampooer. This is an unlicensed position in 45 other states, but TN requires that people "must complete not less than 300 hours of instruction on the theory and practice of shampooing" at an approved school AND obtain a pricey license before working in that position.

How many people ever died from a bad shampooing? I mean seriously, even if it isn't something you've done every single day for nearly your entire life, what can possibly take up 300 hours "teaching" someone how to do it??

Now if you want to get technical, a snack shack at a ball field would probably be considered a damp location, precluding the use of Romex at all. What does that tell you? It tells me that the original work was probably done by the brother in law of someone on the town council.

Last edited by taz420; 04-08-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 07:51 AM
B
Two separate 20 amp outlets with separate 20 amp breakers. Get a good quality 20 amp commercial grade outlets.

Commercial grade outlets have tighter better electrical connections. And devices pulling a lot of amperage can heat up [burn out] an outlet with poor connections.

If using a single duplex outlet, the heat from one outlet could travel to the other outlet. If separate, they will dissipate any heat better. (Not a code thing, just my experience.) And actually if there is a good connection, the plugs should be cool to the touch.

Old 04-09-17, 11:04 AM
T
Yeah we've already established that. The job is already done. [Unneeded comment removed.]

Last edited by ray2047; 04-09-17 at 02:02 PM.