Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Low-voltage lighting power in same conduit as sprinkler valve control wire?

Low-voltage lighting power in same conduit as sprinkler valve control wire?

Old 04-27-17, 02:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Low-voltage lighting power in same conduit as sprinkler valve control wire?

Hi. I hope this is the correct sub-forum for this question. I've searched like crazy and can't find a good answer for what I'm trying to do.

I'm planning on installing some low-voltage landscape lights in front of my house (4 walkway and 3 to 4 spot lights). The controller for my sprinkler system is located in my garage. I would like to locate the transformer/timer for the new landscape lights next to the sprinkler controller.

There's already a nice wire conduit running from the sprinkler controller, through the garage wall and then down into the ground on the outside. Would it be OK to run the low-voltage power from the new transformer/timer inside that same conduit? It would save me from having to drill another hole in the garage wall and from running more conduit.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-17, 04:06 PM
P
Received 113 Votes on 89 Posts
There is no issue running both of those low voltage wires together. However you need to read the instructions for the lighting transformer. Some say they are not to be installed indoors.

Old 04-28-17, 06:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info - it's gonna save me a lot of trouble.

The transformer I'm looking at is meant to be inside. It has a dusk-to-dawn feature that doesn't require a photocell to operate (they call it "astronomical timer"). I really didn't want to locate the transformer outside, for various reasons. Come to think of it, I better double-check the inside/outside thing; I may have just assumed it was OK for inside because of that "astronomical timer" feature.

Thanks again for the help!