Timber Framed House External Socket required

Old 05-10-17, 08:46 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Timber Framed House External Socket required

Member is in the UK.

I would like to add an outside mains socket but I came across this statement on the B&Q website...

Modern timber-framed buildings

You can't bore a hole for a cable through the external wall of a modern timber-framed building. This is because the interior cavity is filled with insulation material and contains a vapour barrier, which you mustn't break.

See...

How to add an external power supply | Help & Ideas | DIY at B&Q

My house was built in 2015 and is built with timber frame, Kingspan insulation and a vapour barrier.

Does this mean an outside socket cannot be added to my house then ? Or is an alternative method required ?

Last edited by ray2047; 05-10-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 09:14 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This is primarily a North American forum. I'm not sure how much members may be able to help. I presume by "socket" you mean what we call a receptacle, a place to plug things in.

Old 05-10-17, 09:29 AM
D
Sorry, I had not realised you were in the USA!

Yes, your interpretation of 'Socket' is correct.

Old 05-10-17, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hang in there. Your question is not so much electrical as construction practices and that is more universal.

Old 05-10-17, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I see no reason why you can not penetrate the outside wall of any building, as long as you properly seal the penetration.

Old 05-11-17, 08:09 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah your code is different than ours. Expand ALL THE SECTIONS on this page, and you'll get some good info.

How to add an external power supply | Help & Ideas | DIY at B&Q

In the US, it is certainly allowable to drill through and outside wall and add a weatherproof outlet (must have a GFI).

In your country it MIGHT be the case that you'll need to go through masonry instead. Typically the people at the local Home Depot (or equivalent) will know the proper code - BUT ONLY in the electrical and plumbing depts. Check with them.

If it were ME and I'm not getting it inspected, I would simply install a weather proof outlet box with a GFI (RCD) protected outlet where I wanted it - and put a bit of fire-rated spray foam where the hole was drilled for the 12 gauge outlet wire.

That rule about "must not penetrate the vapor barrier" is ridiculous. As if your house isn't darn leaky right now - even built in 2015! I'd bet they cut all sorts of corners and didn't foam and caulk everywhere they should have! Most contractors are notoriously lazy about such things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: