Portable generator wiring review

Old 05-25-17, 03:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable generator wiring review

OK so I'm going to fix this mess up and just want to make sure I'm thinking this out correctly. This group has proved before that I can get it wrong

The plan is to use an interlock with a 30A breaker and run 10/3 UF from the panel to a post outside with a standard gen outlet. That's it. Nothing complicated. Anything I'm missing? should I go larger in case they buy a larger gen later?

Not to throw the friend that did this as a favor under the bus, but here's the pictures of the current install. And yes that's two pieces of 10/2 used for the run and at some point is spliced to 12/4 SJ 30A breaker, no interlock & Suicide cord in use. This is for an elderly couple....

Name:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  33.3 KBName:  IMG_1099.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 05-25-17, 03:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
from the panel to a post outside with a standard gen outlet.
No. You need an inlet. The picture shows a receptacle. You are going to replace that, correct?

Name:  IMG_1099.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 05-25-17, 03:31 PM
S
Correct, plan to use a standard gen Inlet box, no suicide cord.

The only thing I'm planning to reuse is the 30a breaker. everything else will be pulled.

Old 05-26-17, 10:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If you want to plan for eventual upgrade, install conduits instead of cables so you can pull larger wires if you need to. That said, a #10 cable will support a generator up to the 8kW range which is more than the vast majority of people need in an emergency. The only situations where you need to look at a machine larger than that would be if you need to support a central air conditioning or heat pump system or perhaps a tricky well pump, although many wells will be OK on a 5kW or 7.5kW generator.

Old 05-30-17, 10:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree with Ben, I don't see any reason to plan for larger than a 30A genset connection. My parents had a 50A connection for a 12Kw generator (electric heat) and it was a beast. Between the generator, cable, connectors, etc. they never used it because it was too big, too heavy, and too loud.

Old 06-07-17, 12:26 PM
S
Thanks folks, sorry for not responding. I wish he had just run 10/3 instead of the (2) 10/2. Would make this a lot easier. I agree 8kW is plenty for emergencies. The house runs on nat gas, but the water heater and clothes dryer are electric. If this was my house I'd probably switch to a gas water heater, but otherwise they will be fine. Having said that, I don't think there's any point of any of this if they don't get convert the portable gen to run nat gas. They can't carry 5g of gas anymore. getting old sucks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: