Requirements for kitchen island outlet?

Old 05-28-17, 08:05 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Requirements for kitchen island outlet?

We have an island in our kitchen that is a countertop sitting on two 36" cabinets. We'd like to put an outlet in it because our countertop space near existing outlets is limited. The overhang of the top is less than 2.5" all the way around. Would prefer to have the outlet on the back (6' long) side which is opposite the doors and drawers.

I know it has to be a GFCI 20 amp outlet and there is a 20 amp circuit available. Are there any restrictions on placement from the corners or below the top? What type of conduit does the wire inside the cabinet need to run though until it reaches the basement?

Thanks.

Old 05-28-17, 08:14 AM
I install cabinets. Let a pro electrician answer also.
I would place 2 receptacles at the left and right ends, it's doable even with drawers.
The receptacles should be GFCI Tamper Proof.

An outlet on the back of the island should only be used for convenience IMO, like a vacuum.

Old 05-28-17, 08:32 AM
L
I would place 2 receptacles at the left and right ends...An outlet on the back of the island should only be used for convenience
Thanks. The reason I want it on the back is because the end on which it would be most convenient is opposite the dishwasher and lots of traffic passes by. Not so much on the back side. FWIW, there would be nothing permanent plugged in, it would only be used occasionally for a mixer or a waffle iron and maybe occasionally a coffee pot.

Old 05-28-17, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The receptacle need to be within 15 inches of the countertop IIRC.

Your could sleeve NM cable inside the cabinet .

Measure carefully to avoid hitting a drawer with the box.

Old 05-28-17, 11:15 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Receptacle in Island

Measure the clearance from the back of the drawers with the drawers fully closed to the inside of the back wall of the cabinet. Use an old work box.

Old 05-28-17, 03:37 PM
L
The receptacle needs to be within 15 inches of the countertop IIRC.
There is about 2" clearance between the back of the drawer and the cabinet. The drawer bottom is 6" below the underside of the countertop. I'll probably just locate the box 6.5-7" below the countertop.

Old 05-30-17, 10:49 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You can get low-profile old work boxes that can fit in that 2" space. You may also need a low-profile GFCI receptacle, but it's definitely doable.

You can place the required receptacle anywhere around the island as it suits you.

Old 05-31-17, 02:08 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I know it has to be a GFCI 20 amp outlet
No, it doesn't have to be a 20 amp GFCI rated outlet unless your kitchen appliances have 20 amp plugs on their cords; a 15 amp GFCI device is fine on a 20 amp circuit.

Old 05-31-17, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Another option is to install a multi-outlet assembly AKA: Plugmold. It is available in tamper resistant versions and a few colors. No box required, just drill a hole large enough for your cable a connector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: