Walk in closet light tripping GFCI?

Old 05-28-17, 01:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Walk in closet light tripping GFCI?

We have not changed anything since moving in to our house 2 years ago. The GFCI outlet in the master bath has just started tripping, and it appears that the light/light switch in the connected walk in closet is the culprit. The bathroom lights and outlets can be used without any problem, but 5 seconds after the closet light is turned on, the GFCI trips, and if you reset it again it trips in about 5 seconds. Where should I start to look for issues?

Thanks

Old 05-28-17, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! No new light bulbs? CFL? LED? If not, then I would change the GFCI. They do go bad and they get weak. If changing it out doesn't reap the good rewards, let us know and we'll dig a little deeper. No need in changing anything but the receptacle first. Be sure to remove the power first .

Old 05-28-17, 01:40 PM
C
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, no new bulbs or anything. I will start with the GFCI outlet then and go from there.

Old 05-28-17, 02:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are you saying the light is on the GFCI? Best practice is not to have lights on a GFCI except in some rare cases which this isn't. Are you saying the closet is part of the bathroom?

Old 05-04-19, 11:28 AM
C
Sorry for the delay in responding. The issue actually went away for quite a while on its own, but is now back again. The walk in closet is entered from the bathroom, so I don't know if that is a special situation. I changed the GFCI that was tripping but the problem still persists (and that wasn't what fixed it temporarily either).

Old 05-04-19, 11:36 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Does it still happen if there is no bulb in the closet fixture?

It could be a loose connection in the fixture or in the switch that controls it.

Old 05-04-19, 11:49 AM
C
Just took the bulbs out and tried it and it does still trip the GFCI.

Old 05-05-19, 06:52 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
So the problem is in the wiring, not the bulb. Check the connections in the fixture and at the switch to make sure they are not loose. If the switch has push-in connections move the wires to the screw terminals. If a fluorescent fixture, the ballast could be failing.

Old 05-05-19, 10:38 AM
E
Received 17 Upvotes on 16 Posts
Another suggestion is to disconnect switched hot wire from fixture (usually a black wire) and then see if the GFCI still trips after switch activation. If the tripping stops then fixture is likely at fault

Take standard precautions of turning off power before this and making sure disconnected lead is kept from shorting on anything.

Old 05-06-19, 05:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Since your problem also last occurred in the spring, perhaps something related to condensation or humidity. For example, steam from the showers gets into the light box, condenses into droplets and causes a trip.

Did you try replacing the GFCI last time? They can just go bad or get finicky.

Old 05-20-19, 03:40 PM
C
Thanks for all the help! I ended up replacing the fixture and that fixed it. Not sure if the other ground was bad, but just happy I can see my clothes and shoes again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: