Was my doorbell incorrectly wired to transformer?

Old 06-04-17, 12:28 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Was my doorbell incorrectly wired to transformer?

I opened up sounding device because I was going to install a Ring (video enabled) doorbell which requires adding a power pack to the doorbell and transformer terminals in the sounding device.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...roPowerKit.pdf

I was a bit confused though as upon opening the chime the two wires were attached to front and rear terminals, and nothing was attached to the trans terminal (I was expecting wiring on front and trans). So - I'm trying to figure out whether it was incorrectly wired all along and whether I should just be switching the wire on the rear to trans. Couple things - current doorbell functions just fine, and I do not have a "rear" doorbell. Unless the house was wired for one to be ready or it goes somewhere else, I don't know why there would be something attached to rear. House is about 7 years old in case that helps understanding how/why it's been wired as it is.

I did follow up the wires up to the attic to the transformer box and have attached a few pics.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Pics show:
-sounding device
-Junction box
-In wall Behind junction box
-Behind sounding device (can see the white and red wires attached to sounding device terminals are in the brownish wire)
- transformer in attic
- bigger view of transformer with wiring (can see where red white wires come together)

I'm obviously not savvy with electric wiring. I'd appreciate any information regarding the setup I found- was it incorrect? Does wiring need to be changed?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 06-04-17, 12:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It should have been to "trans". Sometimes things will work even when technically wrong.

Move the wire on "rear" to "trans" and verify the chime still works. If it does follow the PDF instructions using the wire that is now on "trans" as the wire called "trans" in the PDF.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-04-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Power PRO kit.....it's a resistor. They packaged it in a box that hardly fits inside the chime. I stuffed it in the wall. It has no polarity.

That sounder should have nothing to with the doorbell. I see a piece of fire cable so I'm guessing that sounder is connected to a fire/security system.

Old 06-04-17, 06:56 PM
W
Thanks. Appreciate the responses.

Old 06-04-17, 07:00 PM
W
That sounder should have nothing to with the doorbell. I see a piece of fire cable so I'm guessing that sounder is connected to a fire/security system.
By sounder are you referring to the 3rd and 4th pictures? What I probably mistakenly referred to as a junction box. Sounds like you agree with Ray, correct?

Old 06-04-17, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
The picture of the transformer wiring is ok.
Yes... the wires should be on TRANS and FRONT.

Old 06-06-17, 10:32 AM
W
Thank you for the responses.

Old 06-06-17, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
How did you make out ? Is the Ring online and working ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: