Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Basic question - adding an outlet and light - how to wire up?

Old 06-08-17, 04:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So I have a an old water heater closet where I recently relocated the water heater outside (moved to tankless) and now would like to better utilize this space.

Bit of background on use case:
The goal here is for this closet to house the cat's litter box where I will have a cat door into the space (through the door) and plan to install an exhaust fan / light that will automatically kick on as a cat approaches. Neat thing is I still have the exhaust flue plumbing out of the ceiling from the old gas water heater. To do so I would like to have a double gang box at typically outlet height where one is your normal plug and the other side is a motion sensor (at cat / outlet height) that will automatically turn on the light and fan when cat approaches. This closet is tucked away at the back of the house where people do not walk by so the motion sensor will not be an issue.

First question:
Above the closet I have open attic space where I found a 14/3 wire running to a bedroom. Would it be okay to cut this wire, add junction box, run another 14/3 wire down to the plug light switch combo gang box and have one of the hot wires power the plug and then other power the switch?

Second question:
From here would I then run a 14/2 wire, tie the neutrals and grounds to the 14/3 and run that wire up to the light / exhaust fan? Assume I do not have to stay with a 14/3 wire?

Hopefully I am not way off base here but if I am please take it easy on me, I'm here to learn Thank you for any help you can provide!

Old 06-08-17, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The first thing is to find out what the xx-3 cable is being used for.

Old 06-08-17, 05:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Was the previous water heater electric? if so you may be able to repurpose that cable if it has a ground.

Old 06-08-17, 05:50 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, it was gas - no power going to that room. Nearest power is the wiring above....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: