Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Install 3-prong dryer plug where electric water heater used to be?

Old 06-14-17, 10:56 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently had my electric water heater removed and replaced with tankless gas water heater, and now I want to use that electric water heater's dedicated 30-amp, 240 volt wiring to put an old 3-prong dryer outlet in the garage.

In the box are black, white, ground wire.

Obviously mark the white wire with tape as being hot... Anything special to do with the ground, or just attach to the L shaped prong (ground) on the outlet?

Old 06-14-17, 11:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can by code no longer use a three wire dryer receptacle. You must run a four wire feed to the receptacle and convert the dryer to four wire per manufacturer's instructions if it has a three wire cord.

Old 06-14-17, 11:55 AM
P
Thanks Ray, but the Level 2 charger I bought for my EV utilizes a 3-prong dryer outlet plug.

I'm not asking anyone to condone code violations, but asking for a technical perspective if one were faced with similar dilemma.

Thanks again...

Old 06-14-17, 12:30 PM
I would check with your local building department. They might consider this a new install rather than just replacing the dryer.
Existing 3 wire systems are grandfathered in most areas AFAIK. Appliances such as dryers and ranges are shipped from the factory in 3-wire configuration, convertible to 4-wire.

Of course 4 wire is safer, but that will not stop an appliance company from plugging in your dryer to a 3 wire set up.

Old 06-14-17, 12:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Level 2 charger I bought for my EV utilizes a 3-prong dryer outlet plug.
The dryer is 120/240. The charger is probably 240 only. Yes, it uses three wires but those wire should be two hots and a ground. An old three wire dryer receptacle has no separate ground wire.

Old 06-14-17, 01:47 PM
P
Thanks all! Yes Ray, you are correct. Just confirmed my current dryer outlet has 3 wires, but no ground. Guess I can't use that water heater wiring after all.

Old 06-17-17, 05:09 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Just confirmed my current dryer outlet has 3 wires, but no ground. Guess I can't use that water heater wiring after all.
I believe the point Ray was making is that the 3-wire dryer receptacle accepts 2 hot conductors and 1 neutral conductor; it doesn't accept a grounding conductor. For a 30 amp 240 volt charger there is nothing wrong with using the old water heater wiring, but it's the 3-wire dryer receptacle that shouldn't be used. My opinion is based upon the charger needing a 30 amp 240 volt circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: