Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to seal off space around large cable that goes outside

How to seal off space around large cable that goes outside

Old 06-15-17, 06:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to seal off space around large cable that goes outside

There is a space around a cable that goes from the fuse box inside to the meter outside. The space around the cable is big enough I can see all the way through to outside, but just enough to see the light. What can I fill this in with so nothing gets in? Can I just bunch up a bunch of plastic sheeting and stuff in there until it is full?

Old 06-15-17, 06:58 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is something called Great Stuff. I usually don't recommend it but it should work.

Old 06-15-17, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Great Stuff or another brand of spray foam would be my choice. It will expand to fill all the nooks and crannies and is very sticky before it cures so once it's in there it's not coming out.

Old 06-15-17, 11:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Don't use the aerosol foam, if this box is outside the foam will break down with UV light, plus it's a mess and looks like krap.

Electrical putty, you can pick this up anywhere, it's like a block of clay, doesn't dry out and you can use it to seal all kinds of things, like duct work!

Old 06-15-17, 11:44 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You can use any common exterior building sealant material: expanding foam, caulking, duct seal putty. It can be painted to match the house exterior if you desire.

Old 06-15-17, 12:29 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I would take the two step approach, spray foam inside the cavity, let it expand, cut it back at the outside of the wall, and use duct seal that point. Happened to want some at the cabin a few weeks back, and had it at home but not in the truck, so went to the nearest small town hardware. The guy who offered to help when I walked in said no, he'd never heard of duct seal, so I described it to him, and he led me to it, meanwhile saying that it's not duct seal but that he knew what I meant. I appreciated how quickly I was able to get it and get back to what I wanted to do, but don't think that he looked at it long enough to see that it said "DUCT SEAL" in large bold letters on the package.

Old 06-15-17, 12:49 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I bet if you asked him for "dum dum" he could take you to it. One of those weird regional names for things that is common in Michigan for duct seal.

Old 06-15-17, 01:04 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I was probably trying to be too correct since I don't get into this store too often, but would guess that you're right, because I usually refer to it as dum dum too. Maybe I just need to to stick with the local lingo next time. Hadn't noticed that you were in MI too until you mentioned it, so howdy neighbor!

Old 06-15-17, 01:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And the motor shop where I learned about it used a name beginning with monkey I can't even type in the forums. <LOL>

Old 06-15-17, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have also heard of Duct Seal being called Thumb Gum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: