Split phase motor (attic fan) grounding?

Old 06-15-17, 04:49 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Split phase motor (attic fan) grounding?

Hey guys,
I'm rewiring my upstairs and attic... including a dedicated circuit to the whole house fan (vents house into attic, not attic to outside). After tearing apart all the old switches etc, I've found that the old wiring to the fan motor (a Dayton 5K554C motor) has no ground, and nowhere on the motor is there an attachment spot for a ground. It's old (70's) but I hadn't expected this. Is it common on old motors to not have this? What's appropriate in this situation? I'm running PANEL -> JBOX -> FAN SWITCH (a toggle and timer together in an old metal steel city box) -> MOTOR.

Should I just connect it up and ground the steel box the switch is in and call it a day? Would that do anything at all? It'd be no worse than it is now. I'm good with wiring circuits but no experience with older AC motors. FWIW it's a 115V 6.0/4.2A 1/3HP motor. Split phase (obviously). Any special precautions here? Or just proceed as if it's just another old receptacle? (however one I can't just switch out)

Thanks
Brian

Old 06-15-17, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Everything metal needs to be grounded.

On the motor.... there should be a slot visible when the wiring cover is removed. The ground is brought thru that slot and can then attach to the cover screw or the bolt above it if easier.

Name:  ground.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 06-16-17, 10:03 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thank you. Where did you get the diagram? I couldn't find one to save my life... (assuming it matches when I take a look later).

Brian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: