Circuit capacities

Old 06-17-17, 01:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Circuit capacities

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what the general rules or good ideas there are for loading each circuit in a house.

For instance, I read that you should count each duplex outlet as 1.5A and keep the total under the breaker rating for that circuit.

When does an outlet or fixture need a dedicated circuit? As in, my dishwasher outlet has a dedicated 15A circuit which makes sense because I wouldn't want to trip the breaker every time I turn on the vacuum while the dishes are running.

I ask because I want to use a 3.4A attic fan but there's no room for a dedicated circuit. Am I asking for problems wiring this into a circuit with 6 outlets, for example?

Should I use the operating amperage with a safety factor for these calculations or is there another spec I can refer to for a given fixture?

Thanks for all your input!

Old 06-17-17, 01:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
General rule is if a fixed in place device uses more than 50% of circuit capacity the circuit needs to be dedicated. A 3.4 amp load can share a circuit.

Old 06-17-17, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 880 Upvotes on 743 Posts
Code only required the circuit to be able to handle the load to be served. When calculating unknown loads, such as general receptacles in a house, you figure 180va per outlet.

I see no reason you can't add the fan to your existing circuit as long as it is not a dedicated circuit, or a circuit that is required to serve specific locations, such as the bathroom or kitchen circuits.

Old 06-17-17, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
The 1.5A load is more for sizing the service, not circuits. Residential loads are typically transient and also lightly loaded.

Old 06-18-17, 07:48 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can have a workbench with 10 outlets spread out on a power strip and would typically only use one or two at a time. (Single circuit OK.)

Or outside outlets around a house. Might only use one at a time for say an electric lawn mower. (Single circuit OK.)

But the outlets in a kitchen might have many in use at the same time. (Multiple circuits better.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: