Electric motor wiring diagram

Old 06-19-17, 08:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric motor wiring diagram

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some insight on a wiring diagram for a motor I would like to wire for 230v instead of the 115v which is currently wired.

Here's the diagram:
Name:  jmd1806192017.jpg
Views: 18579
Size:  30.8 KB

The thing that has me scratching my head is what happens to the blue wire coming from the reversible switch when wired for 230v? Is it no longer used? I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything to help me out so I'm guessing that it's something incredibly simple like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-17, 06:20 AM
M
Motor wiring 230v

In your diagram it appears the blue wire would go to the center screw on the top row, which was previously unused when wired for 115. Just to be safe, I'd hit it with a multimeter first just to be sure you are not creating a direct short. Ex, the blue is hot and that screw is a ground. As long as it's not a direct short the worst thing that would happen if you're wrong is the motor would just hum.

Old 06-20-17, 08:53 AM
D
That is how it looks but there are not any screws to attach to. Under the cover are only the wires coming from the motor (1-6) and the wires coming from the switch. I picked the brain of a friend who's an electrical engineer, which obviously is not the same as an electrician, but he has seen his share of diagrams so was curious to see what he thought. His opinion was that the circles represent the wire nuts connecting the wires and it shows the blue getting one when switching to 230v just so there isn't an open wire hanging out.

I don't know enough about wiring reversible switches to motors to understand why you wouldn't need that wire for 230 when it is needed for 115.

Old 06-20-17, 09:08 AM
D
Here is a photo of the motor and wiring.
Name:  DSC_0330.jpg
Views: 3019
Size:  25.4 KB

Old 06-20-17, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
There is more to the wiring than what you're showing in the last picture.
Where's the reversing switch ??

The wiring changes needed to convert from LOW to HIGH voltage only require you to change the six numbered wires. The incoming power wiring, including the blue stay where they are at.

In the diagrams it looks like the six terminal block is the reversing switch. If that is correct then blue is on the center of one of the switch poles.

Old 06-20-17, 06:56 PM
D
That is all the wiring. The reversing switch is on the right of the diagram (the part with the cord that plugs into the wall coming out of it), the motor is in the middle and the circuit breaker/thermal relay is on the left.

Old 06-20-17, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... I needed a bigger diagram. I found it.

The blue comes from the reversing switch and is not needed.

Old 06-20-17, 07:19 PM
D
Thank you! That was what I was leaning towards but wanted confirmation from somebody with experience.

Those diagrams can be so easy if only you know what they mean.

Old 06-20-17, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Those diagrams can be so easy if only you know what they mean.
That and being able to see the connections clearly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: