Replacing old three way switch

Old 07-09-17, 10:05 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing old three way switch

Hi all:

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see a similar question on the forum.

I'm replacing an old three way switch, probably the original one in the house from 1941. Bottom of stairs, operating light at top of stairs, second switch upstairs.

I'm inserting a diagram of the wiring. It doesn't match what I understand a three way diagram to typical being, in that both the white and the black wires (at least I think one is white-- hard to tell on 75 year old wiring) are attached to the old ceramic switch, as well as a red. The black wire comes into the box and is spliced with the black wire leaving the box, and the spliced end is connected to the switch. The white wire entering the box is spliced with the white wire leaving the box and is connected to the switch. The red attaches to the switch and leaves the box. In the diagram below, I used orange to represent the white wire.

The switch was working previously, we are just upgrading hardware.

Trying to mimic how the old switch was wired, I kept the red attached to a traveler terminal, and attached the black to the common terminal and the white to the other traveler. Flipped the breaker and it blew the circuit. Kept the red in the same place and switched the black and white position, and it again blew the circuit. Now at a loss.

Name:  IMG_0796.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  18.3 KB

Old 07-09-17, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Either that circuit is not drawn correctly or was some type of custom wiring that doesn't follow the norm.

The odd wire is the common. That would mean red is the common wire.
Just about every 3w switch made had the common marked although on older ones it can be impossible to find.

On newer switches it's the dark colored or black screw terminal. Doesn't matter where it's located on the switch.

Old 07-09-17, 12:14 PM
Your red wire needs to be connected to the common terminal of the new switch. If I read your post correctly, you had it on a traveler terminal in both attempts. Fix that and the circuit will work. BUT...

This is a Carter / "California" 3-way. These have been banned for ages. Maybe you don't want this in your house any longer. Be VERY careful when changing the light bulb in that fixture because the fixture can be "hot" even when the light is off. If the fixture is low enough to be touched from the floor level I wouldn't even hook it back up. Grab that light bulb base with one hand while your other hand (or foot) is touching a grounded object and you're dead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82927[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-17, 12:25 PM
D
Thanks to both responses, and yes, you were both correct, when I connected the red wire to the common terminal, it worked. Thanks so much for the info about the Carter/California three way wiring. It is for a ceiling light fixture that's out of reach, but I will definitely be looking into having an electrician look at this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: