Direct wiring dishwasher

Old 07-12-17, 04:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Direct wiring dishwasher

So we finally got our new appliances in today and after a bit of struggle with the floor and countertop I managed to get the dishwasher out. When I did, I saw that it was direct wired to the breaker (it did have its own 20A breaker and now I guess I know why). The question I have is as follows:

- Should I install a GFCI outlet instead, which way is the preferred way? Why would they do the direct wire like this?
- For installing the GFCI outlet, can it be being the dishwasher or does it have to be elsewhere, if elsewhere any easy way to access to this existing wire in that location?

Need some advice here as I have never done this, but I'm guessing be it hardwire or plug, its the same wire nut connections in the same metal box under the dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-17, 04:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Receptacle is the modern way. At the DW junction box install a cord and plug set sold for DWs. Some prefer to put the receptacle in a cabinet next to the DW rather than behind it so it is easy to unplug if ever needed.

Old 07-12-17, 05:09 PM
D
The wire is about 2-3 feet to the right of the cabinet where the outlet would go, how would I get the wire there? This is a 1950s house, the dry wall is not the drywall you would see now instead its a very thick (about 1" thick) wall that has a metal mesh inside.

Old 07-12-17, 06:00 PM
T
Received 42 Votes on 41 Posts
Some prefer to put the receptacle in a cabinet next to the DW rather than behind it so it is easy to unplug if ever needed.
Good advice. My dishwasher caught fire one day..

Old 07-12-17, 06:07 PM
Surface mount the nox for the receptacle against the wall between cabinets and run the cable through the cabinet wall into the box.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 07-12-17, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
2014 code requires dishwashers to be GFCI protected. I find it easier and cheaper to install the receptacles into the cabinet next to the dishwasher as Ray describes. I would sleeve the Romex with flex conduit to help protect it from damage.

Old 07-12-17, 09:10 PM
D
If you look at my picture, I have no cabinet to the right but only on the left and thats really not a cabinet but under the sink with all the copper piping and drainage. Are you guys saying its better to have an outlet right where all that water is? So what you are saying is, I should run that romex to that cabinet in a metal tube, and put an outlet on the side of the cabinet under the sink NOT on the drywall, then I feed the actual power cord out there as well. So basically I have two cables leaving the dishwasher cabinet to the left hand side, correct? Isn't that overly complex, I'm now basically having four things cross to the other side, the hot water, the drainage, the romex, and the power plug.

Old 07-12-17, 10:20 PM
Yes, the water isn't a problem. Just put it high enough not to be bumped by items setting in the cabinet.
So what you are saying is, I should run that romex to that cabinet in a metal tube, and put an outlet on the side of the cabinet under the sink NOT on the drywall, then
I'd just use ENT, plastic flexible conduit. The box can be fastened to the wall facing out or to the side facing to the other side. The choice is yours.
I have two cables leaving the dishwasher cabinet to the left hand side
No one cable, the NM-b that is already there. In the same hole used for water supply and drain you run a cord (not cable) that plugs into the GFCI receptacle.

Dishwasher cord:
Name:  285203_K_L.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  10.0 KB

it did have its own 20A breaker
THat would require 12-2 NM-b. Modern NM-b 12-2 is yellow. Check that the cable is #12 by looking at the printing on it.

Name:  7QFoHFz.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  32.9 KB
If the cord is too short you may need to place the receptacle lower and drill a lower hole for the cord.

Isn't that overly complex
Bottom line though do what is easiest for you. Just connect the NM-b to the dishwasher if you want to. Just be sure to check that the printing on the NM-b says 12-2. If it says 14-2 you need ton change the breakers. Jackets for NM cable are not required to be color coded and before manufacturers started doing it about 20 years ago white 12-2 was common.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-13-17 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 11:28 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
2014 code requires dishwashers to be GFCI protected.
I don't have a copy of the 2014 code, but was thinking that it also required AFCI protection for the dishwasher circuit. Is that correct?

Old 07-14-17, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
If the DW is hardwired you now need a breaker lock installed at the panel.

Old 07-14-17, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
I don't have a copy of the 2014 code, but was thinking that it also required AFCI protection for the dishwasher circuit. Is that correct?
I don't either, but I think that is in the 2017 NEC.