Random GFI tripping

Old 07-21-17, 10:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Random GFI tripping

I had a GFI outlet that would randomly trip every few months. I replaced it with a new one. It does the same thing. It's never while something is plugged into the outlet, however, other things are on the same circuit (i.e., the lights in the next room over). The most draw that circuit ever gets is from a 12A vacuum cleaner, however it never trips while using the vacuum cleaner. What do I do to diagnose the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-17, 11:55 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
[there are] lights in the next room over
Lights do not need to be on the GFCi. If they are fed by the load side of the GFCI switch them to the line side. That will eliminate then as a possible cause.

Are you sure there are no outside receptacles on the circuit. Maybe one you have forgotten about or is hidden behind something that hasn't been moved in years.

Is there only one GFCI on the circuit? Be sure you don't have one GFCI feeding another. While it usually won't cause a problem it can interfere with tracking down a problem.
The most draw that circuit ever gets is from a 12A vacuum cleaner, however it never trips while using the vacuum cleaner.
An overload doesn't trip a GFCI. A leakage to ground does. It is good to rule out the vac though.

Is this a bathroom? If so it should be on its own circuit. If it is You might want to bring the bathroom up to modern code and run a new circuit for the bathroom.

Old 07-29-17, 07:21 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for info and suggestions!