Generator hookup to house

Old 07-23-17, 03:50 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generator hookup to house

Greetings All:
I want to buy a new generator: Duromax 10,000-Watt Gasoline Powered Electric Start Portable Generator with Wheel Kit-XP10000E - The Home Depot to have for the hurricane season. Of course, I would like to plug in to the electrical panel but I am confused about one thing. I have two panels: the Main which has the main breaker on the outside on one end of the house, and the sub panel in the garage(on the opposite side of the house) which has the individual breakers. Can the hookup for the generator be made on the sub panel? If it can, how would I do it if I don't need the main?

Many Thanks
Don

Old 07-23-17, 05:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is anything other than the subpanel powered from the main panel? If not you could use a transfer switch to either power the subpanel from the main panel or the generator. With that set up nothing from the main panel would be energized. However the output is only 8000 watts so you would only be able to run a couple of circuits.

Old 07-23-17, 06:00 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
To power the subpanel using your generator you would install a transfer switch in the feed from the main panel, for example, just before the feed enters the subpanel.

The common terminals of the transfer switch go into the subpanel. The main pane feed is connected to the "A" branch of the transfer switch. A male receptacle to receive the female end of an ordinary extension cord to the generator is connected to the "B" branch of the transfer switch.

No main panel circuits will be eligible to receive generator power.No main panel circuits will be eligible to receive generator power

To power anything using your generator you would install the transfer switch in the feed from the meter to the main panel with the common terminals going to the main panel. You would need discipline to avoid overloading the generator. (There are other connection method which are premature for me to attack prior to getting more details from you)t.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: