Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Breaker trips only when +95F and sun shining on breaker panel

Breaker trips only when +95F and sun shining on breaker panel

Old 08-01-17, 12:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Breaker trips only when +95F and sun shining on breaker panel

Our dryer breaker trips, but only when it's really hot outside (Houston) +95f and in the late afternoon when the sun is shining on the panel. We could be running the dryer most of the day or just a couple of times, but if it's hot, hot, hot and the sun is shining on the box it might trip.

The dryer (laundry room) is protected from the sun by the garage and covered walk way.

It's always done this since we moved in four summers ago.

Is this a dryer problem or a breaker problem?

TIA

Old 08-01-17, 12:36 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
One of the ways in which a breaker trips is upon overheating. It makes sense that it could trip in the situation you describe. Breakers heat up a bit during normal operation and add beating sun you could push it over the line. I'd start by replacing the breaker with a new one as the existing one might be getting a bit weak and tripping easy. If it still trips with the new breaker the only solution I can see is running the dryer when it's cooler outside or getting some shade on the breaker panel.

Old 08-01-17, 12:43 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I did forget to mention that I suspect the breaker because I'm pretty sure it is forty years old, as is the house.

Old 08-02-17, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Also make sure the wire connections are tight. Loose connections can also heat up a breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: