Hot tub - GFCI Location

Old 08-07-17, 11:38 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot tub - GFCI Location

Hi there....we have a new swim spa/Hot Tub that we had an electrician wire up. It's been working fine, but then started to trip the GFCI about once a day. I pulled the disconnect and it still tripped. In fact, now it won't reset at all.

Here's how it's wired: He put the GFCI in the main panel, and put the disconnect by the pool. Basically, there's the 50 A GFCI in the house, about 40 feet of 4AWG wire to the outside of the house, where it goes through a sealed box and splices to more 4AWG wiring. This then is sent underground about 15 feet to a disconnect box (weatherproof, but not sealed). From there, the 4AWG wire goes to the swim spa.

My question is, should the GFCI have been close to the pool, with just a breaker inside? I'm wondering if it's the wire length that's causing the issue? Or humidity because the disconnect is not sealed?

He's coming out today to take measurements, I just would like some advice in advance if possible.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-17, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I pulled the disconnect and it still tripped.
Usually that would mean the problem is between that point and the GFI breaker.
However.... the disconnect may only disconnect the two hot conductors allowing the neutral and ground to still be connected.

A GFI breaker is fine in the main panel although it's usually contained in the outdoor "spa box". Its location is not the problem. There is a problem in the wiring.

There should be fours wires coming out to the spa disconnect. Neutral and ground MUST remain separate.

You could turn off the breaker, open the disconnect, shoot and post a picture of the wiring here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-07-17, 12:40 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

You're right, the disconnect only disconnects the conductors...the neutral and ground are still connected.

I have a feeling the issue is the wiring that's 18" buried. Poop.

We'll have to see what the measurements show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: