sub panel box wiring

Old 08-09-17, 10:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sub panel box wiring

I have 100 amp panel box that services outdoor items. It is fed by the main house service box. 3 large wires connect to the box, two hot wires to the hot lugs and a neutral wire to the neutral bus. No ground wire. Several 120 VAC breakers and 240VAC breakers are connected. The box is not grounded with a gnding rod.Cannot tell for sure if the gnd bus is separated from the neutral bus. No green screw.Do I need a grounding rod? Anything else?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-17, 11:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It doesn't meet current code but may be grandfathered. When was it installed.
Cannot tell for sure if the gnd bus is separated from the neutral bus
It shouldn't be on a three wire service.
The box is not grounded with a gnding rod
If it is on the house it doesn't need one. If it isn't on the house it needs one or two.

Old 08-09-17, 01:23 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The panel should only have a ground rod if it is on a different foundation from the building where the main panel is.

Ground and neutral buses should be bonded for panels with a three-wire feed. It's an old style of powering subpanels but would be grandfathered as long as it was installed properly at the time.

Old 08-09-17, 01:47 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The panel box is mounted on a 4x4 post 100 ft or so away from the house. From your comments it would need a gnd rod or maybe two. Wired to the gnd buss?

Installed sometime between 2005-2007 by previous homeowner. (A guess). Previous homeowner used it to power pool pump and a ground sprinkling system including a water pump in pond 150 yds away. Pond water pump is no longer used.

I purchased property in 2011.

Old 08-09-17, 02:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is still used for a pool for reasons of safety you need to convert it to 4-wire.
Wired to the gnd buss?
Both the ground buss and neutral buss should be bonded to the box. Often in older 3-wire systems there was only combo neutral ground bar. Not sure what you have. Can you post a picture? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html