2 bedroom outlets have no power?

Old 08-19-17, 09:50 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 bedroom outlets have no power?

My home inspection for sale says two bedroom outlets dont work. its true they never did. I didnt need them so it never bothered me. I replaced the outlet thinking that was the problem. still dont work. So i checked and the hot wire has no AC.

I also know how in a bedroom they usually wire in a row so two come in and two go out to the next outlet.
I have 3 outlets in this bedroom with only one set of wires coming in. One works, the other two dont.

Whats going on here?

Old 08-19-17, 10:56 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I replaced the outlet thinking that was the problem.
Regular receptacles have no magic parts inside to go bad so replacing them usually doesn't help unless it was a poor connection you inadvertently fixed. If the receptacles are backstabbed the wires need to be moved to the screws.

Do you have a mystery switch in the room that you never knew the purpose of?

Old 08-19-17, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Look for a gfci someplace also. there may be one tripped and not found. Look at the last working outlet in room or in another room close. Usual place for outlets to stop working is at last good outlet or next one in line. Follow Ray's advise and move any back stabbed wires to screws.

Old 08-19-17, 07:45 PM
E
No backstabbed wires or gfci in this room. There is a switch to power certain receptacles which is marked but its only one in the room and it works also. strange huh? i cant figure it out. I have also cycled the only breaker for the master bedroom.
The master bedroom has 5 outlets. its the two in the furthest away corner from the door that dont work.
I called an electrician to come find the problem but they took my info and never scheduled the service call.
I am going to call a different electrician monday.

Old 08-19-17, 11:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
I have 3 outlets in this bedroom with only one set of wires coming in. One works, the other two don't.
That would lead me to believe there is a junction box somewhere. In the attic if this is a second floor bedroom. In the basement if it's a first floor bedroom.

A tone generator and a tracer would be needed to confirm the wiring

Old 08-21-17, 08:16 AM
E
Thanks PJ max I think you are correct. It is a second floor bedroom and the wires come in from the top of box not the sides. So they must run from that junction box down to those outlets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: