Outlet box in brick hearth

Old 09-04-17, 02:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet box in brick hearth

Hi all - My older brother no longer has a need for his pellet stove so he's giving it to me. The place where I'll be installing it is on a brick hearth which is already occupied by an old wood stove. I haven't use the wood stove for many years due to a leak. The pellet stove operates on electricity. There is no receptical close enough to plug it in. I need to install an outlet box in the brick hearth. I have 3 questions; 1) How does one cut the brick out of the way without damage to the other ones? 2) Is there a special outlet box that I need to use in the brick hearth? 3) How do I anchor the box in the brick so it doesn't move? Thanks in advance for the help. Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-17, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
How do you intend to get the wires to the box? You'd cut what you can of the brick before using a chisel. Is it not feasible to install an outlet in a nearby wall?

Old 09-04-17, 04:05 AM
R
Thanks for the quick reply. One of the reasons I wanted to put the outlet box in the brick hearth is for aesthetics, it simply would look cleaner. I wanted to keep the power cord behind the installed pellet stove. I was planning to install it in the floor of the hearth. Below the hearth is full basement so access to the box would be very simple. I would purchase something with protective caps over the receptical to prevent dust from collecting in the slots into which the power cord would plug. Can you see any problems with this approach? Roger

Old 09-04-17, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I'm a painter not an electrician - they should be along later. A simple but maybe not acceptable [to you] fix would be to drill a hole thru the brick and use conduit and a box on top of the brick to house the receptacle .... assuming the stove would hide it.

Old 09-04-17, 04:28 AM
R
I never considered that approach. I like that idea, it'll be behind the pellet stove, not unsightly. Before I go ahead and do this I'll wait for other options/solutions to this problem. Thanks. Roger

Old 09-04-17, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
There are many ways to cut the brick:

Use a diamond blade in a angle grinder. This will be very dusty so running a shop vac at the same time is quite helpful.

Use a hammer drill and drill a series of holes in the shape of the box then chip it out with a cold chisel and hammer, or keep using the hammer drill.

Mounting a surface box behind the stove would be a good option. Just make sure you attach it to your non-combustible floor protector. You could use a weather proof box and a short piece of conduit into the back of the box. This could be done on the floor or wall.

Old 09-05-17, 02:44 AM
R
I do own an angle grinder with a diamond cutoff wheel. One thing I forgot to mention is the brick is as old as the house. The house was built pre-1840, some of the bricks are extremely hard and other are extremely brittle. The hearth is made from brick that came from a chimney that ran through the middle of the house. Due to neglect (and fear) the chimney was removed in the late 1970's and used to make the hearth. I think I'll stick with the surface mount box due to not knowing which of the extremes I'll run into trying to cut the brick out of the way. Thank you for the suggestions. Roger

Old 09-05-17, 06:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just my opinion but I agree surface mount to avoid unexpected problems and make it simple as possible.