Loose Wire in Breaker Box

Old 09-05-17, 09:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loose Wire in Breaker Box

Hello,

I lost power to 3 outlets in the kitchen, 1 GFCI and the other 2 regular 3-prong.

Took a look behind the breaker switches and noticed a loose wire. It appears to be the wire that should be attached to the breaker switch that controls that side of the kitchen.

In the 1st picture, there's 1 switch that's labeled SERVICE DISCONNECT. When you turn it to the OFF position it cuts off all power to the entire house. If I switch this to the OFF position, can I safely reconnect that lose wire without worrying about being electrocuted/shocked?

Thanks in advance!

In this picture, circled in red is the breaker switch that controls the outlets that aren't working:

This next 2 pictures show where the loose wire is in the breaker box:

Old 09-05-17, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Yes.... the service disconnect will kill the entire panel.
Also.... turn off the breaker(s) you are working on.

Always treat a main panel as live even when disconnected.

Old 09-06-17, 04:26 AM
A
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
SAFETY ALERT !!!!

If I switch this to the OFF position, can I safely reconnect that lose wire without worrying about being electrocuted/shocked?
In case you do not know even though you shut the main breaker off in the panel the lugs leading to the main breaker or bus bars are still energized and can seriously hurt you (or worse) just as if you never shut the main breaker off.

Be extremely careful and if you have any doubts do not attempt it.

Old 09-06-17, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
In this application.... when the main breaker is shut off there are no exposed bus lugs.
The area under the gray safety plate (circled in red) is always live.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-17, 04:43 PM
A
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
Yes that is absolutely true in this case PJmax but I was just trying to alert jmcs23 in "general" that turning off a main breaker in a panel does not mean that the panel is totally (dead) safe to work in and you do not have to worry about anything that may be energized. I just wanted jmcs23 to understand that parts are still "hot" and to be extremely careful. Some DIYers may have the impression that the entire panel is "dead" if they shut off the main breaker.

Old 09-06-17, 06:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I went ahead and connected it to the 2nd empty spot down from the top. It was the spot that belongs to the switch that was labeled "kitchen". Now the plugs in the kitchen are fully functional again.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 09-06-17, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting us know all went well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: