Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Strange continuity causing some GFCIs to trip but not others

Old 09-10-17, 09:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

On a 120/240 volt system.
I installed a new 50amp GFCI circuit for a hot tub, but when I tried to energize the 50amp breaker, it tripped immediately. I started tracing the ground fault and found that continuity exists between the meter and the main breaker from either A phase to B phase OR B phase to ground. This is happening when all breakers including the main are off. There are other single pole breakers already in the panel but they aren't effected.
Is it just my new 2pole 50amp is too sensitive?

Old 09-10-17, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you have a GFI breaker tripping..... it can only be caused by what is directly connected to it. That means if you took the two load wires out of the breaker it would not trip.

Here's where your problem may be. A two pole GFI breaker has three screw terminals on it. One for leg A to the load, one for leg B to the load and one for the neutral to the load. Then there should be a white tail attached to the breaker that goes to the neutral bar.

Make sure the neutral/white wire to the spa connects directly to the breaker.

Old 09-11-17, 11:04 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I did those things, but even with the load wires removed from the breaker, it still trips instantly whenever the buss is energized.

Old 09-11-17, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
If the breaker is installed in the panel with no load wires connected and it trips itself..... it's defective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: