Electrical work for installing OTR Microwave

Old 09-12-17, 06:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical work for installing OTR Microwave

The background is we bought an Over the Range microwave, I know it has to have its own dedicated outlet and circuit.We had an electrician out today and he says our subpanel is obsolete and needs replaced because he cannot add a breaker as it would not match the panel, therefore not be up to code and not pass inspection.I am reading conflicting websites on mixing breakers. Other sites say as long as the breaker is "classified" there should be no problem. The panel is a Challenger SL12(16-24)CCN mod 1. As you can see on the bottom there is a knockout on each side where two more breakers can be installed. Can we just have a breaker added and line run to new outlet for the microwave? I feel like them wanting to replace the whole subpanel is bull.

Attached Images   
Old 09-12-17, 06:50 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Find a new electrician. Challenger was bought out so Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR breakers are good for that panel. Most likely BD tandems as well - label is too blurry to read.

Old 09-13-17, 04:31 AM
C
Thanks Astuff, We did have the breaker for the Range replaced about 6 months ago, and it is an Eaton.&lt;br /&gt;<br />

Last edited by cmski59; 09-13-17 at 04:41 AM. Reason: disregard
Old 09-13-17, 04:44 AM
C
Maybe this pic is better, if it shows up, new to this forum stuff.

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-17, 07:07 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
I can read that a bit better. It shows “use sylvania circuit breakers type A, C, HC, and HAGF”

If you look at your upper left range breaker - Eaton BR250 it is also marked C250 so as to be listed for the Challenger panels needing "type C"

If you need something to show an inspector this table shows "C" translates to "BR" - http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...1453631966.pdf

You can't always trust them but both big box stores list the BR as UL listed for Challenger replacements.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-Type-...reaker/1114091
Eaton 20 Amp 1 in. Single-Pole Type BR Replacement Circuit Breaker-BR120 - The Home Depot

For tandems the BR2020, etc. are marked "BR A Type BRD & A" so the A should cover you.

Last edited by Astuff; 09-13-17 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 02:28 PM
C
Thanks for the great information. I sent my Uncle an email about this electrical work also and he recommended using a 20A circuit breaker for the microwave. He said take one out and take it to hardware store to get a match. Between your info and his I almost feel I could do this myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: