Electric service mast bent from storm

Old 10-01-17, 08:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric service mast bent from storm

Hello all,
I have an issue with the electric service going to my house. We had a bad storm the other day and I noticed that the pole on the house where my service comes in has moved. See the pictures I have attached. I am trying to find out if I can repair this by placing a cable from the top of the pole and anchor it to another section of my roof to help hold this up or is there another way of repairing without replacing the pole.

Attached Images   

Last edited by PJmax; 10-01-17 at 08:52 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 10-01-17, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

More then the pole being bent.... the roof is damaged and will probably leak.

Old 10-02-17, 02:13 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know there is some damage to the roof and I'm fixing that. Just not sure what is the best way to fix the pole. I really don't want to replace the pole if I don't have to.

Old 10-02-17, 02:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Assuming the pole is secure I'm not sure I'd mess with it other than the flashing and and shingles.

Old 10-02-17, 03:45 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Different utility companies will have different requirements. My utility would have required a solid backstay between the mast and secure framing of the house. Some utilities will require two backstays approximately 60 degrees off from the main tension from the utility drop. In all cases the stays MUST be fastened into secure framing members and NOT just screwed to the siding. Most common is a 2X4 inside the attic spanning at least two studs with the backstay bolted through the siding and the 2X4.

Some utilities will allow a cable stay with turnbuckle but you still need it securely mounted to the house framing.

Old 10-02-17, 06:30 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I don't know if I'd do much with it other than repair the roof. Furd described the procedure well if you want to put some cable stays on it. In my area you don't need to stay the mast unless it's more than 3' above the roof, and it looks like yours is under that.

If you did want to replace it, the job wouldn't be too bad. You would have the power company guy come out and unhook the drop while you pulled out the conductors, swapped out the pipe, and pulled the conductors back in. If you work quickly and have the new mast ready to go you could get it all done while the power company guy is there saving a second trip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: