Chandelier suddenly stopped working

Old 10-07-17, 02:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Chandelier suddenly stopped working

Here's the context. About 7 months ago, we replaced our entryway chandelier. Previously we had a builder-grade 8 bulb (40w flame looking bulbs) ugly looking thing. We replaced it with a much larger 12 bulb chandelier rated for 60w bulbs. Up until this week, the thing was working just fine. Out of the blue, the thing just turned off and won't turn back on.

I figured maybe one of our switches went out, so I went ahead and replaced both 3-ways and the 4-way with new switches. Still nothing. I picked up a voltage meter to see if there was a break in the circuit, but all the switches were hot when the breaker was on.

Interestingly, both sides of the traveler read hot regardless of how the switch is set. At first I thought maybe I'd done something when installing the switches, but I double and triple checked. I put everything back exactly how it was with the original switches.

I also did my due diligence to check other outlets, switches, etc to make sure something else hadn't gone out. Everything seems to be working just fine except that one light.

I was hoping to avoid an electrician if possible, but I'm out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of is something went wrong at the junction box, but it's a 20ft ceiling and I can't get up there.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Attached Images     
Old 10-07-17, 03:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Where does power come in, at one of the switches or at the light. Power will be a 2-conductor cable that when disconnected will read ~120 volts between black and white.

Still nothing. I picked up a voltage meter to see if there was a break in the circuit, but all the switches were hot when the breaker was on.
Do you mean a multimeter? If a non contact tester not a multimeter it can't be used to check for voltage. If it was a multimeter than the test I describe above is the important one.

Old 10-07-17, 03:28 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was using a non-contact voltage meter, so it sounds like the reading I got was irrelevant. Correct?

I'm not quite sure where the power is coming in. I haven't done much with electrical and have just been trying to troubleshoot the best I can before calling in a pro.

Based on a quick Google search, I don't think I have a 2-conductor cable near any of the switches. As you can see from the pictures, none of the cables are red, black, or white.

Old 10-07-17, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Interestingly, both sides of the traveler read hot regardless of how the switch is set.
Yes.... that is because you have an open neutral.

You don't have any cables.... you have conduit.

Where is the third switch wire in the second picture ?

Problem...
The top picture is one of the three way switches as it has two purple travelers. Those same two purple travelers show up at the four way switch. There should be two purple travelers on the switch in the second picture.

Old 10-07-17, 03:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
was using a non-contact voltage meter, so it sounds like the reading I got was irrelevant. Correct?
Yes, give it to your kid to play with and get an analog, not digital, multimeter. A digital is more likely to give a false reading but can be used if you have one.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-07-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 11:06 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Yes, give it to your kid to play with

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: