Power from temp pole to building breaker box

Old 10-15-17, 04:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power from temp pole to building breaker box

Hi folks!

I have a temporary power pole set up with 2 20 amp breakers ( with 4 empty spaces) and need to run power to my barn's 125 amp breaker box until I can dig the trench for the power company to run their hookup wire from the main pole.

I run a small farm selling beef and pork so will have 4 freezers and 1 fridge in the shed. Each freezer and the fridge is on it's own circuit and the interior lights are on their own circuit.

I have to be out of my rental this week and cannot rent a trencher. This part of the farm is rocky!

We live in the country and my local inspector said "don't kill yourself and use common sense" when I asked him about hooking up from the temp pole to the barn.

Any advice on the best way to do this? The temp box is energized from the main pole.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-17, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
How long do you expect to utilize the temporary power? I've painted lots of new houses where the temporary power cable was just laid across the top of the ground - protected or marked where needed. Normally that set up was only for a few weeks. But I'm just a painter, the electricians should be along later!

Old 10-15-17, 06:49 AM
B
I should only be using temp like that for 4 weeks or so. Thanks!

Old 10-15-17, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
We live in the country and my local inspector said "don't kill yourself and use common sense" when I asked him about hooking up from the temp pole to the barn.
If you are selling.... then it's a retail operation/location and you'd best use good common sense.

We can't help you with specifics as having no idea what you are working with there. Pictures would be helpful. How-insert-pictures

Old 10-15-17, 01:47 PM
B
Thanks! I'll try to insert pictures soon. We are not selling from the barn; just storing the meat in the freezers and then selling at the local farmer's market. The general public will not be in the shed.

That being said I do want to do the work to code or above as that seems like common sense to me.

Pics soon!

Last edited by Bstrange; 10-15-17 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 02:28 PM
B
Here are the pics. THanks!

Attached Images    
Old 10-15-17, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Wow.... living on the edge there. That bare ground that pops into the back of the box looks awfully close to one of the hot legs of the panel. The neutral wire from the meter to the panel should be white wire. Not black taped yellow.

That panel in the bottom needs to be converted to a sub panel. All the white wires connect to the neutral bars already in place and the ground wires connect to a new bar that you need to get and install directly to the metal box. Technically.... and not sure if the inspector will push it.... you need a main breaker in that panel since there are more than 6 breakers (handles) in it.

You will need four wire cable to connect the two panels. Is this something you are going to run on the ground ?

I'm confused.... if you already have this powered pole near the building..... what is the power company needing to connect ?

If you have that powered pole.... they might not supply another meter.

Old 10-16-17, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I was thinking it was a temporary power pole .... like typically seen in new construction.

Old 10-16-17, 10:15 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
If it's temporary, anything safe should be fine. Often on construction sites, UF-B wire is run on the ground and flagged or protected as needed. You'll have to figure out the load required - I wouldn't want to run large gauge wire unless it's really needed. Maybe you can get away with a 30A circuit and 10/3 UF-B?

Old 10-16-17, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
The load will need to be figured. There will be 4 freezers, 1 fridge and lights.