is nmd in raceway ok?

Old 10-16-17, 06:31 AM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
is nmd in raceway ok?

We have an apartment in a building that is over 100 years old. It looks like at some point in the past, someone installed nmd to make a circuit of receptacles in the lounge but they just stapled the nmd to the baseboard and painted over it (wall is plaster not drywall).
I don;t want to spend too much on redoing these circuits so am wondering if I can install a raceway over the top of the nmd?

Found this somewhere - is this old?
Section 336-6 permits NM cable to be installed in exposed locations and has permitted this installation technique since the introduction of NM cable into the Code in the 1930s. If installed exposed, the cable must closely follow the building surface or be installed on running boards. The NM cable must also not be installed in an area where the cable may be damaged or subjected to any physical abuse that might affect the safe operation of the system.

Old 10-16-17, 08:23 AM
P
Received 143 Votes on 116 Posts
NM installed on the surface of baseboard is considered a location that's subject to damage. It needs to be placed in a conduit sleeve, or on the side of a running board that provides protection.

Old 10-16-17, 08:24 AM
Q
Is a raceway permitted as protection?
Does this mean you can run nm cable 6/ high on the walls or along the ceilings?

Old 10-16-17, 02:04 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Subject to damage is always at the discretion of the inspector. Generally they will not allow it stapled on the surface of the walls, sometimes they will allow it on the ceilings.

You could install wiremold raceway over top of the NM. That would provide required protection for a surface-mount installation.

For other kinds of raceway like EMT or PVC conduit, yes you can use that with NM, but in most cases only one cable can go through the conduit.

Old 10-17-17, 08:31 AM
Q
Ugh, raceway is almost as expensive as copper for the same length. Easier to install than digging through walls obviously.

Old 10-18-17, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
I would ask the inspector whether they consider that subject to damage . I would not . Look at the wall near it to see if it is damaged. How long has the cable been there and is it damaged ?

Old 10-19-17, 05:36 PM
Q
Maybe 20-30 years. No damage. It's on the baseboard but slightly higher than where you could kick. Is tacked tightly or glued or something, barely moves.

Old 10-22-17, 05:59 PM
Q
It's kind of an open ended interpretation of damage.
I always figured the code would be clearer than that

Old 10-23-17, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
It is subjective. It is definitely cut and dried.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: