Capping an abandoned 1" rigid conduit

Old 10-20-17, 07:58 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Capping an abandoned 1" rigid conduit

I have a 1" rigid conduit that's outdoor, comes up from underground through a concrete walkway and up the exterior wall. It ends at a metal junction box and the wiring inside are old romex that's been long abandoned. I have no idea where it leads to. When I initially opened that metal box to investigate two years ago, it was filled with yucky glooey bio matters. It has been used as a wasps nest for a while. There were ants, beetles in there as well they were having a party.

Later on I cleaned up the box, but since the box is not weatherproof, I end up replacing the box with a short piece of 1" PVC pipe with a cap and a male adapter to connect to the rigid coupling.

Problem is, this conduit came up from the concrete sidewalk along the wall and it's about 4' tall. I would prefer to remove as much of the pipe as possible. But the threaded coupling is about 3.5' above the sidewalk.

If I were to cut the conduit say 6" above the sidewalk, is there any kind of fitting I can use on the cut end (unthreaded) to cap it and it's weatherproof?

Old 10-20-17, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd probably cut it off and pound it into the ground. Do you know if it's running through the slab or wall? If so, I'd cut it flush to the sidewalk with a grinder (have someone pull UP on the wires) and jam whatever wiring is left down into the pipe with a hammer and dowel. Then put some sprayfoam in down deep, and fill it with cement. All you'd see is the ring of the lip of the pipe.

Either that or you could try unscrewing it below the surface with a big a$$ pipe wrench, then fill the hole.

Old 10-21-17, 06:28 AM
M
Thanks Vic. However I don't want to totally get rid of it just in case one day I find the other end of it and decided it could be useful to reactivate that raceway. I just wanted the pipe as much out of the way as possible. Right now it's like 4' above the sidewalk I want to cut it down to like 6-8". But of course if I did that I would not have a threaded end. I was hoping there is some sort of a compression male or female adapter that can connect to it.

Old 10-21-17, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Since you may want to use in future I would cut at a unusable length And silicone an pvc cap on it.

Old 10-21-17, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, you said you had no idea where it lead. I didn't see anything about future use. If that's the case, then pugsl's idea is as good as any. You'll be able to find some sort of cap or plug that would work. Maybe even in the fencing area.

Old 10-21-17, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you don't know where the other end is you can't be sure someone won't connect it to power. That is why when the other end is unknown it is left capped in a box.

Old 10-21-17, 05:40 PM
M
I don't know where the other end is but I do know:

(1) It does not lead to the main panel.
(2) It does not lead to any of the existing junction or switch boxes. Yes I have opened all of them up in an attempt to trace it.

So my conclusion is it was abandoned. That was a regular metal box and it's not weatherproof. So wasps, ants got inside and filled it with bio matter when I first opened it. There are three #6 conductors inside. The old cloth wrapped ones and it was cut very short and they just sat inside the box not even terminated with a wire nut.

What I mean is in the future if I find the other end of the conduit during some renovation I MAY use it. Likely? No. I just wanted to keep that door open.

Old 10-21-17, 07:46 PM
M
OK I found a fitting that may work.

If I cut the pipe at say 4" above the concrete sidewalk. Then use one of these:

COOPER CROUSE-HINDS CPR23 compression fitting

to connect to the cut end, then I buy a 1" rigid nipple and cut it to a short piece and connect to the other end of the compression coupling, then I can put a 1" threaded cap over it. If I ever need to use it I unscrew the cap and I am ready to go.

Old 10-25-17, 10:39 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
Since it's no longer an electrical raceway (it isn't connected to anything with power), you can really cap it with anything. I'd go with pugsl's idea of a siliconed PVC cap or a rubber Fernco cap. Either above or below ground.

If you haven't found the other end yet... I'd be 99.99% certain that you're never going to use it again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: