Cut small hole in drywall or baseboard?

Old 11-20-17, 11:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cut small hole in drywall or baseboard?

This may not seem like a big deal, but I'm not too experienced with these things and would appreciate any thoughts or insights before I proceed.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to make a small hole in the drywall or in the baseboard of a wall I want to run an extension cord through.

Why do I want to do this? One room is lacking accessible outlets where I need them, but there is an outlet nearby in the adjacent room.

Rather than having an electrician install a new outlet, I think it might just be easier to create a small hole and run an extension cord through.

Note that there is no wiring or plumbing in the wall I want to make the hole in.

So I'm trying to figure out if I should make the hole above the baseboard in the drywall, or if I should cut right through the baseboard so the hole is sturdier and closer to the floor.

Again, thanks for any thoughts or insights you might have.

Old 11-20-17, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Don't do it! Extension cords aren't designed to be used that way along with it being a code violation. It usually isn't a big deal to install another outlet on the other side of wall using the same power circuit.

Old 11-20-17, 12:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Extension cords are not designed for permanent use or to be run through/behind walls.

We can walk you through installing a new receptacle (or you could hire it done if you prefer).

Old 11-20-17, 02:12 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If installing a new outlet right on the other side (almost) would be acceptable that is a one beer job if you have a friend that is an electrician. They make boxes specifically for that job and maybe 10 minutes work, you run the vacuum to clean up the drywall dust.

Worth calling an electrician to see what he might say.

Bud

Besides, you only build your list of trusted skilled trades people by using them.

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-20-17 at 02:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-20-17, 03:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thread moved to Electrical Forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: