Block heater extension cord for christmas lights?

Old 11-25-17, 05:30 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Block heater extension cord for christmas lights?

We bought 2 projector lights for outside and realized we have no outside outlets. so we figure we can run extension cords out the window or buy a socket adapter for the outside porch light.
The extension cord my husband bought are for a block heater and it has a power bar. im just wondering if its safe to use outside with the snow and rain or not?

Old 11-25-17, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would not recommend using a socket adapter from a porch light as it will not have any GFCI protection. Anything used outside should have GFCI protection so if you are running an extension cord from inside the house, make sure you add a GFCI adapter at the inside outlet.

I am not sure what you mean by "power bar" but if it is a power strip/surge protector that should not be used in wet locations. If there is no other option, use a plastic bin or bag to protect it from water.

Old 11-25-17, 05:41 PM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
As Tolyn Ironhand already mentioned use a GFCI adapter for your cord. Here is what I mean. Place this adapter within the house and plug whatever cord you are going to use into it. This will at least give you the GFCI protection you need for personal electrical shock prevention.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: