Kitchen exhaust fan doesn't work

Old 11-28-17, 03:52 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen exhaust fan doesn't work

My exhaust fan works when plugged into a nearby receptacle, but will not work using the wires that lead to the fan. There is current on the black and white wires (@120-124 volts), so I don't know why it will not work on that line. Two electricians have tried to resolve it, but not successfully, saying I should just have a new line to lead to the fan. While this may be the resolution, why won't it now work? It was working in the summer (last use) so I thought the fan motor just burnt out. I was surprised that it worked elsewhere. Also, the second electrician replaced the pull chain switch and the fan receptacle, but still no dice.

Old 11-28-17, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

These were electricians or handymen ?
If there is power there on the white and black wire and the motor is good and the switch is new..... doesn't leave too much to check.

Was the voltage checked when the fan was actually plugged in ?

Running a new line to replace an existing working line is not a solution.
I'd look for someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 11-28-17, 06:59 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I do not think the voltage was checked with fan plugged in, so what does that mean the problem is? It may be obvious to you, but I still don't know. How can I test the voltage myself with the fan plugged in (I do have a multimeter)? Where would I put the leads?

Last edited by Puzzled01; 11-28-17 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 06:45 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, there should be a junction box on that fan where the cord goes in, you need to carefully test between the conductors that go directly to the motor with the fan plugged in and the pull chain switch ON, if you can post a pic of what you have there it might be helpful for us to better guide you.
Geo

Old 12-01-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Since that motor plugs into a receptacle..... pull it out just enough to touch the probes to the prongs. If you no longer measure 120v with the fan plugged in..... you don't have 120v there. You would need to check from hot to ground to see if you have the 120v hot. If you check from white to ground and measure any voltage..... the neutral is open.

Old 12-01-17, 06:20 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Also, the second electrician replaced the pull chain switch and the fan receptacle, but still no dice.

The only pull chain activated kitchen exhaust fans I have ever seen were the old thru-the-wall fans from 70 to 90 years ago. If this is what you have and the circuit is embedded in a masonry wall I would suggest a new circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: