attempting to identify electrical problem

Old 11-29-17, 03:40 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attempting to identify electrical problem

This evening I unplugged a power strip from one outlet on one wall. When I did this, everything connected to a different outlet on a different wall of the same room suddenly went dead. That happens to be the outlet for all of my computer equipment. I thought perhaps a circuit had been tripped and went to look at the box - no problem. I unplugged the power strips from the outlet that went dead then plugged them back in - nothing. Strangely enough when I plugged something back in to the other outlet on the other wall, the outlet on the wall containing my computer equipment suddenly came back to life.
I restarted my computer to find that the monitor was not working. The usual light that shows the monitor has power did not come on. Flipping the switch from off to on would show a brief light flash on the screen, but then blackness. I tested the monitor in three different outlets with different cords - it remained nonfunctional.

What could be going on with the electricity in my house to have caused this problem, where unplugging something from one outlet would cause another outlet in the same room to go dead? Could whatever have happened killed my monitor?

On a side note the onboard audio on my computer motherboard suddenly failed a few days back. It was working one minute and since the next reboot I have never been able to get it working again. Only static and the system does not seem to recognize when something is plugged in or out of the jacks. I don't know what caused this but after this recent incident have started to wonder if this also could somehow be connected with the electrical problem I just described?

Is there anything I can do to test the outlets that might give me more information?

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Old 11-29-17, 04:08 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Sounds like a short or power surge resulted. I assume your computer set up did not have any surge protection. Turn off the power at the breaker and inspect the outlet that the power strip was in. You may find a burned outlet or a wire disconnected. If the other outlets are working OK then that particular outlet is defective and must be replaced.

If you are not comfortable working with electric, then call a qualified electrician.

Old 11-29-17, 04:16 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Remove both outlets after opening breaker(s). Move any wires on stab connector to a screw connection and make sure all screw connections are tight on each outlet. Reinstall and repower. Hope this helps

Old 11-29-17, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I suspect the movement from unplugging the strip caused a connection to open.

Old 11-29-17, 02:34 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My guess is that one outlet is tapped off the other outlet & when you disconnected the power strip, one of the wires came loose.

Old 11-30-17, 04:40 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Start with the outlet box where you pulled out the plug of the power strip and at that moment the other receptacles went dead.

Ultimately you may want to go through the entire house, changing over all of the switches and receptacles to use the screw terminals instead of push-in rear connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: