THWN nylon coating

Old 01-07-18, 08:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
THWN nylon coating

I was starting to pull some 6 AWG THWN off a spool today and about 40' into the roll I hit a section of wire where the nylon coating was delaminated (pic. attached). The section of wire without the nylon was about 10' long. Is it normal to see this type of delamination? It is my understanding that the nylon is there to help with moisture protection and fishing the wire through conduit- so I assume you wouldn't want the nylon coming off in strips. Are my concerns correct?

Attached Images  

Last edited by Todd-DIY; 01-07-18 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-18, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
That clear coating is mostly for pulling ease and protecting the actual wire insulation during installation. I've heard that the coating does help aid the oil and chemical resistance of the wire.

I've never seen it come off of a roll like that. Is it old wire ?

Old 01-07-18, 09:05 PM
It is my understanding that the nylon is there to help with moisture protection and fishing the wire through conduit
It's not there for moisture protection. It's for oil/gasoline/chemicals, and of course it adds some physical protection during pulls.

I can't say that it's "normal", but it does happen. Is it cold where you are? Seems like winter is when I always hear of this happening.

I remember a story on a forum some years ago. A guy got stuck with some where the entire spool was like this. Southwire sent him a signed document saying the wire was fine to use that way. But Southwire sent a rep out to megger the run anyway just to put their mind at ease. It FAILED. Not because of the nylon jacket; there were obviously other issues with that spool as well. That, or maybe the guys damaged it during the pull. Anyway, a lot of money changed hands to re-pull everything (with Southwire the $loser), they got new spools of wire free of charge, and the Southwire guy ended up taking all the old stuff home on the sly, as I recall.

Old 01-08-18, 05:42 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If this is new wire off the roll It looks like a manufacturing defect to me. I've never seen that happen unless the wire had some kind of damage.

Old 01-08-18, 09:52 AM
T
I bought the roll of wire a week ago at Home Depot. I didn't look at the roll/tag for a manufacture date so I'm not sure if its very old. It has been sitting in the garage for the last week so it may have seen some temperatures in the mid 40's (live in central Florida). It was in the low 60s when I was pulling it yesterday.

I had not cut any wire yet, so I took it back to Home Depot and returned it as defective and got a new roll.

Old 01-08-18, 09:53 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
The only time have I seen the nylon covering come off was at the drip loops of an overhead service, my own. The nylon covering doesn't hold up well to UV rays.