Correct way to wire built in dining bench

Old 01-20-18, 06:03 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct way to wire built in dining bench

Hello,

I'm building a dining nook and there is an outlet in the wall that is behind the dining nook. I know it can't be covered so I will make a hinged seat for access to the box and cover it up with a removable plate.

I want to extend the power from this to an outlet on the front of the bench. What is the correct way to run romex out of the wall through the storage area to the new receptacle? Can I run a new cable out of the box that comes out through the wall into the bench and just staple wire to the sides of the wall? Does it need to be shielded? If so how do I handle terminating the shielding at the wall and at the plastic old work box?

I'm having trouble figuring this out. I see alot of pictures online where DIY'ers are probably neglecting code.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-18, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
You could remove the receptacle from that box and use it just as a splice point. You can use romex inside the bench as long as it's protected. If it's being used for storage.... it's not in a protected application.

Since the existing box is in the wall.... you may have to make a hole in the wall above or below it in order to get the cable inside the box.

Old 01-20-18, 06:59 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. So, I should be able to run romex through the built in if I partition off a component with plywood to separate it from the storage area? If not if there shielding that is acceptable like metal flex?