Space heater created electrical puzzle....

Old 01-20-18, 06:17 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Space heater created electrical puzzle....

So I plugged in a space heater to an outlet near our kitchen this morning, I don’t think I’ve ever used this specific outlet for a space heater. It shares a circuit with the kitchen. Well, we noticed our toaster wasn’t working in an outlet near this space heater but it would work in another. I also noticed the space heater wasn’t on despite being turned on. I assumed a breaker tripped. I checked them al, and found none tripped. I went ahead and reset the ones for the kitchen and living room in case it was tripped but wasn’t obvious. Didn’t solve the issue,

A plug in tester in one kitchen outlet nearest the space heater plug showed an open neutral. A plug in tester in the space heater plug shows a very faint flicker of light indicating a weak open ground.

I removed the kitchen plug on the other side of the wall and found a wire loose but I ThINK it came loose when I removed it from the outlet. I checked the space heater plug and found everything snug.

I used a multimeter to test various plugs around the house and found them all correct at 119/120. The two plugs in question show 14 or so, and the space heater plug still shows a VERY faint light on the plug in tester.

I wonder if the outlet the space heater plug is in went bad? Would replacing it be a good idea?

I assume this is not an unsafe situation that can wait until Monday if I need to call my electrician?

I’m unsure of how to proceed. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 01-20-18, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You might have another poor connection. I would look first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: