Tracing Switch Controlling a Light

Old 01-26-18, 11:44 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tracing Switch Controlling a Light

I have an outdoor spotlight / motion sensor. Although I have lived in the house for many years, for the life of me, I can not locate the switch controlling this receptacle. Is there a tracing device available in the marketplace that will assist in locating the receptacle?

Any recommendations/hints from the pros would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-26-18, 12:01 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'd figure out which breaker it's on, then look at what other boxes are on that breaker. When they installed the light, they probably grabbed power from one of those boxes. It's also pretty common for motion lights with a photocell to be installed without a switch (always on).

If you want to actually trace the wires, there are devices that can help -- google for wire tracer. Fox and Hound is one brand, but there are plenty out there. They don't usually work that well however, so other methods are often just as good.

Old 01-26-18, 12:17 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
ipooks, thank you for the quick reply. It did not occur to me that the light may not be switched. I know which breaker it is on, so I will try to isolate it to the one circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: