Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Hiding electrical breaker boxes, meter, and conduit for appearance

Old 01-30-18, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a part of the wall that has electrical boxes, and other stuff on it. Can I hide this stuff behind like a removable canvas or poly tarp? Or perhaps an office wall partition? The office wall partition would be around 8' high and can be moved or taken down.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 01:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Regular boxes (receptacles and switches) could be hidden in the manner you describe, or with something movable like furniture. A panel box or meter should have 36" free space with no obstructions in front per electrical code and OSHA if this is a commercial location. A tarp, curtain or easily open / slide door panel would be OK, but anything fixed in place, furniture or storage is not allowed.

Old 01-30-18, 02:06 PM
The panel box or meter should have 36", but it is ok if it is something movable like in a cabinet. Did I read that correct? I think what I plan on doing is hanging one of those white canvas tarps around it; that would be really easy.

But this is an example that I found online:

Old 01-30-18, 02:14 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
That picture does not look compliant to me because the top rail of the cabinet obstructs the top of the panel box cover and there is storage in front of the panel. The code specifically says that the space in front of the panel must be completely clear, and the only allowed exception is for a door that swings open wide enough to completely reveal the panel. There is also a requirement that any electrical closet contain only electrical equipment -- no storage or shelves of any kind. In this case the corrosive or possibly flammable vapors from the garden chemicals could create a hazard.

Additionally your local power company may have a policy about covering the meter which goes beyond the code. In my area you cannot cover a meter at all.

Old 01-31-18, 03:41 PM
Ok... thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-18, 02:32 PM
Hope about this; can I spray paint it white?