Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Swapping 2 Pole Circuit Breaker for 2 1-Pole Circuit Breakers

Old 02-05-18, 08:01 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am putting in a 240V 2-pole 30A circuit breaker into my electric panel for backfeeding from my Solar inverter, and was hoping to put this on the bottom of the electric panel. But the teeth that the circuit breakers plug into are different shapes, and the 2-pole circuit breaker won't fit as the metal interferes into the part of the circuit breaker that connects to the various branches of the 120V down the center of the panel. Is there certain slots for 1-pole and certain spots for 2-poles on an electrical panel?

Old 02-05-18, 08:23 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Could you let us know the make and model of the panel and approximate age? Some panels do only allow certain types of breakers in certain slots. An overall picture of the inside of the panel would be helpful.

Old 02-05-18, 08:47 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Is there a diagram on the inside of the panel door? Take a picture of that too if it is there and readable.

Old 02-05-18, 12:06 PM
W
Hopefully this pics will help. But maybe I am worried about details that I don't need to worry about. Do I need to have my backfeeding CB at the bottom of my panel? As you can see in the below pic, it is the 3rd CB on the right.

Here is a picture of the label on the inside of the panel:

Here is a zoom of where I am currently plugging the 2-pole 240V 30A backfeeding CB:

And where I would like to plug it into:

Thanks again for any help!

Old 02-05-18, 03:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Your pictures didn't work. They were not image files (JPG, PNG, etc.) but you inserted them as images. How to insert pictures.

Old 02-05-18, 03:53 PM
P
You can put the 2 pole breaker on any side at any level in the panel as long as it fits.

Old 02-06-18, 05:24 AM
S
I do believe you should be able to use 2 single pole breakers next to each other. However you will have to use a tie bar to connect both levers together. Some breakers allow tie bars some don't so check with the manufacturer of your panel to find out if it allowable.

skeeter

Old 02-06-18, 05:45 AM
W
Trying to Resend the Pics

Hopefully this pics will help. But maybe I am worried about details that I don't need to worry about. Do I need to have my backfeeding CB at the bottom of my panel? As you can see in the full panel pic, it is the 3rd CB on the right (gap above it).

The other two pics of the panel show the two different interfaces that are available for 1 pole and 2 pole CBs on my panel.

Let me know if this doesn't work or you need more info. My house was built in 2001, so hopefully nothing that is too obsolete.

Attached Images     
Old 02-06-18, 07:04 AM
P
You currently have the 30A DP breaker in spaces 18/20 which is fine. You can put it across any 2 spaces in the empty area that you like. The diagram shows a dotted line through spaces 21 and 22 down to the bottom which means those spaces can take tandem breakers.

All cables entering the panel need clamps and open unused knockout holes need to be plugged.

Old 02-06-18, 08:53 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
So you have 10 tandem breakers and from the panel schematic they can only be used in the bottom spaces You could replace two of those tandems with four full size breakers and place them in the middle open spots to free up bottom spaces.

What size breaker is feeding that panel? If less than 200 then you can put the PV breaker anywhere.

Old 02-06-18, 04:33 PM
P
Each tandem uses one full space so how are four full size breakers going to fit in two spaces?
edit: nevermind, i misunderstood your statement.

Old 02-07-18, 08:10 AM
W
Pattenp wrote: All cables entering the panel need clamps and open unused knockout holes need to be plugged.

That is something I didn't know, and looks like whomever did electrical work in the box before me didn't either. Since I don't have great access below my panel (unless I cut out the sheetrock), is there a way to cover up the empty knockouts and to put the clamps on from inside the box?

Old 02-07-18, 08:42 AM
P
Originally Posted by Wil_L
Pattenp wrote: All cables entering the panel need clamps and open unused knockout holes need to be plugged.

That is something I didn't know, and looks like whomever did electrical work in the box before me didn't either. Since I don't have great access below my panel (unless I cut out the sheetrock), is there a way to cover up the empty knockouts and to put the clamps on from inside the box?
To clarify cables/wires entering through conduit do not need clamps at the panel entry. For NM cable you can use the 2 piece type clamps and they can be taken apart and inserted from inside the panel with the clamp screws on the inside of the panel. There are snap in plugs that will close open unused knockouts and can be pushed in from the inside of the panel.

Old 02-07-18, 10:27 AM
W
Originally Posted by pattenp
To clarify cables/wires entering through conduit do not need clamps at the panel entry. For NM cable you can use the 2 piece type clamps and they can be taken apart and inserted from inside the panel with the clamp screws on the inside of the panel. There are snap in plugs that will close open unused knockouts and can be pushed in from the inside of the panel.
Awesome, thanks pattenp. That sounds like a lot less work, and sounds like I will try and fix some of the past transgressions of people that have worked on the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: