Help outlet sparked and burnt

Old 02-07-18, 02:54 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help outlet sparked and burnt

Hello guys first time using this forum so excuse me if I say/do anything wrong. Basically last night the sockets in my house stopped working, I went to the fuse box and noticed the “main ring power” fuse was off so I turned it back on only to find it sparked and turn off again. So I decided to turn off all sockets and turn it back on, which worked. However I started to turn them all back on and the first one I turned on which had a bottle prep machine plugged in, sparked and burnt the socket. I turned the fuse off again and took off the double socket from the wall to check the state of the wiring. All seems fine apart from the yellow and green wire which was only partly sleeved but not touching anything. I’m puzzled and can’t understand why it popped, we haven’t had any problems for the year we’ve lived here, however I plugged in a mitre saw which kept tripping the plugs. The main power ring fuse is 20 amp if that helps.

Old 02-07-18, 05:25 AM
A
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
Could be a loose connection at the receptacle that sparked together with power usage (a load) further downstream along the daisy chain from one outlet box to the next.

When you used the miter saw, that drew a lot of power. The large power draw, even for a short time until the breaker tripped, aggravated loose connections along the way to the breaker panel and it is possible that the actual loose connection problems did not show up until weeks later..

Connections that are held using screws are much better than connections made by sticking the wire end into a little hole and it stays in place by itself. Still, the screws need to be adequately tightened. (Do not use tremendous or stupendous force with the screwdriver.)

Old 02-07-18, 06:52 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Checked all wires and they were tightened, nothing loose or anything

Old 02-07-18, 09:25 AM
Received 162 Upvotes on 148 Posts
Hi, what is “main ring power”? do you have fuses or circuit breakers? Bottle prep machine receptacle popped and sparked ,fro the front of the receptacle or in the back, if from the front it could be a worn out receptacle,post a pic or 2 so we can see what you have.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: