Securing flimsy electrical panel


Old 02-11-18, 08:44 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Securing flimsy electrical panel

I believe my electrical panel, or to be perfectly honest the plywood its secured on, is swinging back and forth if someone pulls it from all the way bottom. I’m guessing this is not good and this thing shouldnt be moving.

What is the code compliant way of addressing this? Should I use some concrete anchors and make a few holes with my drill and use them? My foundation wall is blocks (hollow inside) and then comes plywood and comes the panel.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 08:56 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I actually take that back, I just realized there is bunch of 2x4s behind the plywood but what they have done is to place them at the top side of the plywood so the bottom is hollow which produces the “flex” i experienced. I took another look now and the whole thing is pretty stable.
Old 02-11-18, 09:23 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,660
Received 218 Votes on 193 Posts
May not be an issue anymore, but really there is no "official" way to attach a panel. I have used everything from concrete screws (Tapcons) anchors, toggles, plywood, 2x4's, unistrut/spring nuts, and just plain wood screws. As long as it is secure you are good to go.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: