Installing exterior light

Old 02-24-18, 03:36 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing exterior light

Can someone point me in the right direction for installing a new exterior light (flood light in this case). I m not sure the best practices when it comes to cutting the siding, installing a new box (octagon or square?), insulation, securing it properly, and using plastic covers around it.

I did replace 2 flood lights on existing installs, but now I need to install a brand new one. There is a receptacle inside my house right where I want to install this.

Old 02-24-18, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
What kind of siding do you have? Will you be able to fish a cable inside the wall to the new light location?

Old 02-24-18, 04:48 PM
D
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
What kind of siding do you have? Will you be able to fish a cable inside the wall to the new light location?
Its plastic siding that snaps on to each other. The location of the light will be adjacent to a receptacle inside the house, so no fishing necessary. i just need to know what to use to cover the hole (also how do I cut it?) properly so water doesnt get in.

Old 02-24-18, 05:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 02-25-18, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Arlington also makes many other styles of boxes for lights and receptacles.

Aifittings.com

Old 02-25-18, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
These are what I would use for vinyl siding: Arlington | Siding Mounting Blocks You cut the siding out in a square keeping the wood sheathing, fish your wire in the new location, then caulk around the block. The block covers the seam between the block and the siding for a clean look.

Old 02-25-18, 07:36 AM
D
The question is, do you place the light fixture box (I'm guessing I use the octagon boxes, not the switch or receptacle ones) behind the wood siding or do you mount it ON the wood siding but behind the vinyl siding? In other words, do you just cut the vinyl siding to shape or do you cut the wood and the vinyl siding together?

Please bear in mind this is a floodlight (in fact it is the ring floodlight).

Old 02-25-18, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
The siding blocks I/we posted are its own junction box. No additional box is required. All you need to do is drill a hole in the sheathing where there is a KO in the siding block.

Old 02-25-18, 03:53 PM
D
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
The siding blocks I/we posted are its own junction box. No additional box is required. All you need to do is drill a hole in the sheathing where there is a KO in the siding block.
Oh I see, so literally that entire plastic thing is screwed on to the existing siding (and a hole is drilled big enough to fish the cable)? That's easy

Now there is a tough one I also have a brick side, how do I do this for that side?

Old 02-25-18, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Oh I see, so literally that entire plastic thing is screwed on to the existing siding
Close. Arlington | Siding Box Kits for Fixtures and Devices First, You will cut the nailing fins off the siding block. Then you trace around the block where you want it to go and cut the siding away to expose the sheathing. Drill a hole through the sheathing to fish the cable to the light. Then attach the block to the sheathing using wood screws connecting the NM cable with the provided cable connector. Caulk where the siding meets the siding block and install the base, then the light fixture.

For brick you could use one of these: Arlington | Round Flat Surface Out or use a pancake box and recess it into the brick using a hammer drill or grinder with a diamond blade or cup wheel.

Old 02-25-18, 06:17 PM
However I believe the one that I posted is a retrofit with no flange. i thought it just fits over the siding but I may be wrong.

Old 02-25-18, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The block posted by Ray sits over the siding. Other styles attach to the sheathing and the siding butts up to them

A masonry device box can fit in the space of about a half brick and is easier to cut in than a round pancake box.

Last edited by pcboss; 02-26-18 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 04:06 AM
D
Originally Posted by pcboss
The block posted by Ray sits over the siding. Other styles attach to the breathing and the siding butts up to them

A masonry device box can fit in the space of about a half brick and is easier to cut in than a round pancake box.
Cutting the masonary blocks is going to be very difficult. Could I not mount a box on top of the masonary bricks? The light will be under the gutters and probably will be protected by the roof extension. I had to drill through these bricks before to run a small 3/4” pvc conduit for my sprinkler controllers and I spent 3 hours making a hole that big with my hammer drill and masonary bits. I obviously could rent a big commercial drill for this but I m going to be about 15 feet up in the air and I dont know if I can exert that much force on wall when i m on a ldder.

Old 02-26-18, 08:53 AM
Yes, you can surface mount an exterior junction box.

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-18, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You drilll the mortar joints and one side of the brick.

Old 02-26-18, 10:09 AM
D
Originally Posted by pcboss
You drilll the mortar joints and one side of the brick.
So only 1 screw on the brick and rest is on the joint? Hope it doesnt crumble

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: