Adding 110v outlet in laundry room

Old 02-25-18, 07:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding 110v outlet in laundry room

I知 getting a new washer and new electric dryer. The laundry closet currently only has one 220v outlet (4 prong style) as the old appliance was a combo washer/dryer combo that only needed a 220v connection. I now need a 110v connection in the laundry closet to plug the new washer.

From research, I believe my options are as follows:

1) tap into the red or black wire of the existing 220v connection to add a 110v outlet. I believe this is not code compliant as 1) running the washer and dryer at the same time will place unequal loads on the red and black wires and that can damage the appliance, and 2) the breaker on the 220v connection is likely only for 30 amp and branching off a 110v outlet from this line will require a 50 amp breaker, and 3) the incoming wire gauge for the 220v line may not support 50 amp.

2) Install a 50 or 60 amp sub-panel in the laundry room using the existing 220v line coming into the laundry closet, and then run two lines from this sub-panel to install a 30 amp 220v outlet and a separate 20 amp 110v outlet from this sub-panel. This will also require updating the breaker in the main panel to 50 or 60 amp.

3) Install something like this from GE - GE1LU502SS (70 Amp 2-Space 2-Circuit 240-Volt Unmetered RV Outlet Box with 50 Amp and 20 Amp GCFI Circuit Protected Receptacles); however, this is for external use for RVs and I could not find anything like this for indoor use.

4) I have a 110 outlet just outside the laundry closet. This 110v line may have other load on it (lights, fans, etc.), so I値l need to test to see what else in the apartment is on this 110v line, but assuming the load is minimal, could I simply branch off this line to install a 110v outlet inside the laundry closet? Any harm in plugging the washer into this 110v connection? I believe NEC states that laundry room must have a dedicated connection (which I currently have with the 220v outlet), but the code does not mandate that all laundry appliances must be plugged into this dedicated connection.

A picture of the laundry area and the current 220v connection is included.

I知 inclined to go with option 4, but would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide. For transparency, I知 not very knowledgeable about electrical stuff and would use a handyman or electrician to get this work done.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 08:14 AM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Laundry areas require a dedicated 120v circuit/receptacle. None of your proposals pass muster. You need to run a new cable from the electrical panel.

Old 02-25-18, 11:50 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
second set of wires in the same conduit?

Thanks AStuff

In that case, could a second set of wires be pulled from the panel in the same metal conduit that currently comes to the laundry room?

Old 02-25-18, 12:23 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Depends on conduit size and if there is a junction box above the current dryer outlet location as the outlet is flush mounted ,it may be possible to use an extension box over it and install the new receptacle next to it..
Best to shut power off to the dryer outlet and pull it out to see what kind of box is there now.
Geo