ground fault circuit trips only while we are on vacation

Old 03-04-18, 06:26 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ground fault circuit trips only while we are on vacation

Our refridgerator is on the same ground fault circuit as a plug on our kitchen counter. Every time we go away on vacation we come back to find our fridge off because the ground fault plug was tripped. This only happens while we are away and the refridgerator is not being used or opened. Any ideas?

Old 03-04-18, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
This only happens while we are away and the refridgerator is not being used or opened.
Is it plugged in and turned on ?
If yes...... it's in use whether or not you open the door.

The fridge should not be connected to the countertop receptacle circuits.

Old 03-04-18, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 205 Upvotes on 179 Posts
The code allows the refrigerator on the small appliance circuits. There is an exception that does allow a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator.

Perhaps the refrigerator is going into defrost while you are away.

Old 03-05-18, 04:09 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your fridge is probably set for a low temperature and the fridge is defrosting for some reason maybe there is a leak. I would set the temperature as high as it can be.

I have both of my fridges on GFCIs for a while (one of them for a year) and I dont have this issue. People say fridges shouldnt be on gfci but I disagree due to icemaker lines leaking combined with the fact that cheap made in god knows where fridges these days. My brand new fridge was leaking already once and tripped the gfci which probably a) prevented a flood, b) someone getting shocked, and c) protected the fridge itself. I would say a fridge with ice maker/water dispenser should be on gfci.

Old 03-05-18, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
A fridge is always defrosting. It cannot be manually stopped. It can be based on time or demand.

Contrary to current code... I don't believe a fridge should be on a GFI circuit and none of mine are.
If it's plugged into a properly grounded circuit.... the chance of shock are almost non existent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: