Why is my Dryer on a Single Pole?

Old 03-11-18, 05:34 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is my Dryer on a Single Pole?

Hello,

Attached is an image of a portion of my breaker box. My dryer is gas so I have no dryer currently plugged into the outlet that connects to the Dryer Breaker. But I am in need of a 220 outlet for a project.

So I am curious as to what is going on here. Is it possible this breaker is intended for a dryer?

thank you

Attached Images  
Old 03-11-18, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 217 Posts
Even though your dryer is gas, it still needs 120 volts to run the drum motor and any other electronics inside. Many cases this breaker would be labeled "laundry", instead of dryer.

It appears you have plenty of spaces in your panel. If you need a new 240 volt circuit why not just install a new breaker?

Old 03-11-18, 05:41 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That makes perfect sense. haha. duh. Of course the dryer won't run on gas alone.

There is definitely space but I was hoping to avoid getting an electrician out here. Unfortunately it looks like there are no 220 outlets around the house so I may have no choice.

thank you very much!

Old 03-11-18, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 217 Posts
Installing a new breaker is a fairly easy task. Even though there is still hot wires in a panel when it is shut down, they can be easily avoided.

However, if you are not comfortable doing it then yes, please hire a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: