Aluminum wire on dedicated circuit?

Old 03-17-18, 08:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wire on dedicated circuit?

Hi. Have an old 1971 built ranch that has a few aluminum cable, but they are on their own dedicated circuits. I believe one goes to what used to be an outlet in my bedroom dedicated to a/c. one in living room dedicated to an a/c unti (the ac's are no longer there) and one goes to the 20 amp dryer I think.

Is this ok? Do I have to eventually replace these aluminum nm's?

Old 03-18-18, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Aluminum if fine as long as the wire size is correct and proper terminations are made using devices, connectors marked "AL" or "AL/CU", and anti oxidation paste is used. Wire size for small conductors should be #10 for 20 amp and #12 for 15 amp.

Many times larger conductors feeding appliances, and the main service feeders will be aluminum. It is rare that they have any issues.

Old 03-18-18, 09:19 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Aluminum if fine as long as the wire size is correct and proper terminations are made using devices, connectors marked "AL" or "AL/CU", and anti oxidation paste is used.

AL/CU is good for connectors, but not wiring devices. The only wiring devices specifically engineered and designed for use with aluminum wiring are those marked CO/ALR. Any receptacles or switches marked AL/CU are from the early '70s when UL told,manufacturers to just mark their regular production receptacles and switches this way to satisfy the contractors who were demanding devices designed for aluminum wiring. This information is from Dr. Jesse Aronstein.

Old 03-21-18, 11:14 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They've got some colar Leviton outlets at HD for $2.98 each. Should I rewire the 3 or 4 outlets I have that are on aluminum cable?

Old 03-22-18, 10:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yes. The best (and really only) DIY remediation for aluminum wire is to replace all the devices with new ones rated CO/ALR; and to replace any wirenut, twist or crimp connections with AlumiConn (mfg by King) set-screw connectors. Receptacles for large appliances like dryers and stoves are often rated for use with both aluminum or copper wire and do not need to be replaced. All the other methods of aluminum wire repair are crap for various different reasons.

The best (and really only) professional remediation is a system called COPALUM (from Tyco), which can only be installed by an electrician who is certified in the method and has the right tools. This method is expensive, but is a permanent repair.

Old 03-23-18, 07:42 AM
The best (and really only) professional remediation is a system called COPALUM (from Tyco), which can only be installed by an electrician who is certified in the method and has the right tools. This method is expensive, but is a permanent repair.

Yes, very expensive when you consider all the connections in a home that must be repaired. If I recall correctly, I don't think Tyco even sells the tool and requires it to be rented as well.

Old 03-23-18, 07:49 AM
They've got some colar Leviton outlets at HD for $2.98 each. Should I rewire the 3 or 4 outlets I have that are on aluminum cable?

The exposed ends of the aluminum wire will be covered with oxidation that you cannot really see. To terminate these wire ends even on a CO/ALR rated receptacle or switch without removing the oxidation is another problem that could result in failure. I recommend you abrade those oxidized wire ends by using a 320 grit wet or dry silicon carbide paper using anti-oxidant compound as a lubricant leaving a coating of the anti-oxidant on the wire ends before connecting to the receptacle. This is something I also picked up from Dr. Jesse Aronstein.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: