Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Running Cable in 2nd Floor Condo - Determining Basement Location from Main Floor

Running Cable in 2nd Floor Condo - Determining Basement Location from Main Floor

Old 03-20-18, 10:45 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place. I recently purchased a condo, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the alignment of my basement to my main floor. It's very unusual, because I am on the second floor. When I enter my unit, I can head downstairs and go into the basement, or I can go upstairs to my living area. My circuit panel is in the basement. It appears that the left part of my condo sits over top of one neighbor, and the right side sits over the other neighbor. The basement is small and does not span the full length of my living space. It's all sheetrocked, so I can't even see where anything runs. One thing that I did notice (that actually surprised me) is that I have drain plumbing in my basement for other units. Now I'm starting to wonder if my living space is over my unit at all. Am I actually underneath the 1st floor owner?

The reason I am asking is because, without basement access, it's hard for me to run updated electrical, data lines, etc. I am trying to mount a TV in my family room, and I have nowhere to run wiring. I don't know why I'm so confused, but I'm hoping that someone is familiar with this type of layout.

Old 03-20-18, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Your are asking us to use our imagination. I doubt we can help you based on your description.
How could you be under the first floor if you're on the second floor ?

Start by taking a picture of the front and back of the unit and posting them.
Any pictures you post can be helpful..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 03-20-18, 05:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Are you sure you are permitted to run wiring? In many cities, all multifamily residences need a licensed electrician to do work. In most states you must have the approval of the condo. board of directors.

Your condominium documents (declaration, bylaws, rules) may include a complete building floor plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: