Aquarium water heater

Old 03-21-18, 02:46 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aquarium water heater

Hello I thought I maybe knew the answer to this but just to get clarification. I bought a couple aquarium heaters from eBay and some come even with North American style plug even. However I did not notice they are 220v 50-60hz. I know that's mostly European and Asian voltage but will they work here in North America. mine seem to heat up but my assumption is that even fully cranked to high temp setting they will only heat at about half temp or less. Would this be correct

Old 03-21-18, 03:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They will only reach about half temp. You could install 240 volt receptacles but I would recommend returning them. The should never have been sold for U.S. use.

Old 03-21-18, 04:28 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No little toggle switch hiding somewhere inside to swap it back and forth between 120V and 240V ?

I bought a re-furbed water pump not so long ago where the only reason it had been returned was that the original purchaser couldn't/wouldn't flip the Voltage switch.

Old 03-21-18, 06:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
It depends on exactly what heaters you bought and more specifically how their thermostats work. Older designs and cheaper ones use a mechanical thermostat that should work with US current but you will not get the full heating wattage. It won't affect their temperature but it will affect their wattage or output. If the heater has a digital or electronic thermostat it comes down to how it's designed. Many electronics can handle varying voltages and frequencies and might work fine. Since we don't know what you bought you'll just have to test them and find out.

Old 03-21-18, 10:08 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No I assume as much and like anything off the internet things that shouldn't be sold still do. It wasnt a big deal I just thought maybe it was shady to knowingly sell them to USA without them working prooerly or to their full capability. They are new in the box heaters and I'm actually using one anyways. They don't have digital just a rotary knob with + or -. Really not a big deal but for own knowledgge knowing they won't ever heat up to their full potential or similar or work as they were intended in their 220v country. And besides nothing from China sold would ever be shady or faulty right?? ;-). They were cheap and I'll use as is and just check more carefully when buying

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: